Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing from SolidWorks

Machrina

I should explain my situation a bit more. What I did was draw a part in SW, which I then want to machine as two parts which are welded together. The easiest way to split the part was to use two configurations, one the top of the part and one the bottom. In Mastercam, I went File>Converters>Parasld>Read File. When I opened the file, the configurations did not have the same name as in SW, in fact they were just randomly numbered (in no particular order). Judging from how things used to be, it sounds like trial and error isn't so bad.

Hi

Reading Solidworks file based on different configurations into Mastercam will only list the config names as numbers when you try to import the data.

There is no output format from Solidworks that allows external translators to read the config names. The only method is to read the configs based on the numbers.

When you try to read the file into Mastercam and you are provided with the choice to read a config (differnt numbers listed), read it and save it to a separate level or file. Then read the next config and save to a separate level or next file. This will allow you to read the 2 part files in the same MC9 file but different levels or to different levels.

Mastercam is working on a better import method for files with multiple configs, perhaps directly from SW (if it is found on the same system) to read the data using the Mastercam Direct utility from within SW that will give you the config name also.

We have also requested that SW provide the ability for us to read the config names from external translators. We are waiting for them to resolve that.

Till then, contact your reseller and ask them to check with CNC for solutions to this.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

I have another question regarding SWx and using the parasolid file converter. I often have 2 configurations of a part in SWx. When I use the MC file converter, it only seems to recognize the second configuration if I've recently switched between the 2 configs in SWx, and saved. Why is this?