Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fadal 5axis A axis feedrates

octhesax

my shop has a Fadal 4020-5th axis (XYZ A&B axis). The part is made out of t700s graphite composit,.300 thick and I'm using a curve 5axis toolpath set to 4th axis output.

The part shape has some twist to it that need to stay perpendicular to the top surface. I can get it to do the the path(in mastercam)and it looks good. I have posted to machine and watched it run(cutting air),looks ok. my problem is the feedrate that the post outputs. using f300(for example) it goes fast in the straightaways. when there is a simultanious XYZA move, it slows down. so it speeds up and slows down as it rotates.

can anyone help me figure out how to keep a constant feed throughout the entire cut. confused.gif

thanks guys, oscar

As it starts to move in all axis being X,Z,B & C at the same time the post turns this in to inverse time were it is limited by the axis it self.

The rotary table or gimble setup has a feed rate limit on how fast it can turn compared to the faster speed of the say X, Y & Z being straight leaner moves.

HI Jay/ aka CadCam,

You have the best explenation yet:) can you explain to me how then I would go about fixing this? Do you think it is the way our post is set-up or do you think it is in the FADAL parmeters itself. I'm not too clear on how that inverse time works. can you point me in the right direction. Is there a certain formula to use to get all axis to move at a constant feed rate? Is there a setting in MASTERCAM? I eek.gif noticed it spit out G93 codes. according to the FADAL manual explanation, it is for controls that did not interpolate XA or YA moves. maybe we dont need it? I looked in the post and this is how it was set: "use_frinv : 1 #Use Inverse Time Feedrates in 4 Axis, (0 = no, 1 = yes)#WAS 0" I changed it to 1 before I posted thinking it might fix things. but I think I tried it before(a couple weeks ago) I made the change in the post and got the same results. I would really apreciate any help can offer.

just for kiks i included a sample of what my test program looks like. I striped all the feeds except for the first one. the post spit out feeds on every line that were the same. except for a few different ones. thanks again Jay, err' I mean CADCAM.

thanks, oscar

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Here's the other thing, as you add axes in simultaneous motion, you're placing a larger demand on the processor that controls the machine, so you may be maxxing out. Ever run a surface toolpath that you programmed at say.... 400IPM, and it only gets up to 250IPM or 300IPM ??? Same principal is in effect.

Something to think about.....

You said a mouthful there James. I was at the Fadal factory yesterday doing cut test on different machines. What a joke!!!! The best machine I saw for what I need was their Performance series with a Seimens control. For $100,000 plus, it cut great. HOWEVER, I can purchase a VF3 Haas for $40,000 less that cuts just as good with the feeds/speeds I need.

Once again, what a joke.

octhesax after viewing your file this i would say that your hold up is the inverse time in the "A" axis.

there are only X,Y,Z & A movements.

I had gone thru this before and trying to remeber what to do.

James any thouhts at this time? the post is using the inverse time due to the added A's in the movments.

Can we just turn off the the Inverse it is marked on.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Some machines require Inverse Time and some require Degrees Per Minute and some will take either. Inverse time adjusts the feedrate accorting to the center of rotation's relationship to the pivot point (at least this is how it was explained to me), this is why you see feedrates on almost every line.

The only thing I really have to chime in on is what I said before. It may be that the Control can only process blocks so fast and the more information contained on a block, the longer it takes to process it, also, if the moves are very small and lots of them, this bogs things down as well.

Hope that helps in understanding the process. Ya know, it's not just about feed rates. It so much more than that.

JM2C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Yeah, I don't usually wear that hat. I usually wear my USC hat!!!! LOL!!!

I don't look like that. It was a picture I found on the internet somewhere and I knew I'd have an use for it someday so I grabbed it.

I just met with gcode a little while ago and gave him a tour of the school. He can attest to the fact I am much less hansome than the picture! eek.gifbiggrin.gifwink.giftongue.gif

Octhesax,

The axis of all will sync to the slowest and adjust accordingly, Mastercam will not overcome the laws of physics nor will the Fadal, manually programming the multiple axis will prove this.

The rotary axis probably revolves at about 20% of the feedrate that you were expecting, multiple processors will certainly do the math very quickly; however, this is a mechanical problem brought about by introducing one or more rotary axis to the mix.

G94 vs G95 matters not; play around with the feeds and you will learn a little more.

A scientific approach or explanation is required here, unfortunately - we are a hindered breed when it comes to explaining some things.

Regards, Jack

HI TREVOR, KELLY SAYS HI BACK. I KNOW DON ACKERMAN VERY WELL(WORKED WITH HIM FOR 5YRS), IN FACT I TOOK OVER HIS POSITION. I KNOW THAT THIS IS BEYOND HIS KNOWLEDGE(NOT A PUT DOWN,I JUST KNOW THE THE GUY wink.gif ITS JUST THAT THE PROBLEM IS IN THE POST PROCCESOR. THERE WAS A FEEDRATE LIMIT IE="maxfrdeg : 300 #Limit for feed in deg/min" #WAS SET TO 150. SO I JUST NEED TO MESS WITH IT AND TWEEK IT. WE DONT HAVE POST THAT WORKS RIGHT OFF THE BAT. AS WE HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE...BUT THERE IS A FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING. WISH ME LUCK AND THANKS FOR ANY HELP GUYS. P.S SORRY FOR THE CAPS

OSCAR

• 3 months later...