Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Modeling Software for Mold Industry

kwolf

Hi everybody,

I want to know what is the best software in your opinion for modeling free form objects and creating the molds from them. We then want to machine them in Mastercam.

And does Alias (Studio Tools) have the tools to create complex parting surfaces?

Thanks in advance

[ 12-12-2002, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: kwolf ]

We use Unigraphics here mainly due to the fact that is what software delphi uses to draw their product (keeps us from having to run any translators). Normally your customers will dictate what cad programs are acceptable. I love using unigraphics. I had only used the standard 2d packages such as versacad and autocad before I started running unigraphics and I would just as soon never use another 2d package again. The price and maintenance for UG is pretty salty though.

Hi

You can search the Web for Mold Design solutions.

For Solidworks, please take a look at IMOLD for Solidworks. It is a very good Mold Design solution.

With the added fact that there is a Mastercam Direct interface from Solidworks, that will work towards your benefit.

You can visit the site at www.imold.com

Talk to your resellers also for solutions that they might know of. At the end of the day, the product that provides the most for you to get your job done and has the best support network and development behind it will be the ones you should settle to work with.

Regards

Anbu

Thanks for the replies,

We're currently using SolidWorks 2003. In the first step we have difficulties in creating parts with free form surfaces. The other problem is in creating molds from those parts.

Looks like we should change our design software. confused.gif

I remember several times people here mentioned Alias. We want to know is it able to design parts as well as creating complex parting surfaces? How fast is it? Does anyone have exprience with it?

Thanks again

Hi Kwolf

From the standpoint of "making molds from them", could you please elaborate on what you mean? Are you referring to building the core and cavity inserts from them? The Mold Design process using IMOLD for example, is very good from the point of importing the original part, splitting it and building core and cavity inserts for it and then creating layouts, feed system, moldbase, cooling, sliders, lifters, components, assembly drawings, bill of materials, etc.

If you build your Core and Cavity inserts in Mastercam, you should be able to import them into IMOLD and work with them also.

Also, are you familiar with Moldplus for Mastercam? Moldplus provides some very good tools for splitting core and cavity and creating the inserts, easy trimming of surface data, creating electrodes etc.

The folks from Moldplus are working with the developers of IMOLD to provide the best of what Moldplus offers to work with the IMOLD software solution for Solidworks.

As of today, you are correct, Solidworks is still working towards providing more surfacing tools and needs to improve those features and provide better trimming tools, etc.

The folks at Solidworks are very keen at providing the necessary solutions for mold-makers and are working with their third party solution providers to do the same.

Till then, if you can use a combination of Mastercam to build your inserts (core, cavity, side-cores), import to SW and work with IMOLD for the rest of the mold design, you will not lose out. You will have the best of both worlds. And with the Mastercam Direct option, you will be able to complete the CAM portion also.

Hope this helps.

You can always send the folks at IMOLD a part to split and show you how they can create complex runoffs, etc. using the IMOLD tools for SW. Creating complex run-offs using Moldplus is already available with the new IMOLD version.

The websites - www.imold.com and www.imold-europe.com are for the same product IMOLD.

Regards

Anbu

[ 12-16-2002, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Anbu Lingappan - Intercam Europe ]

I've never actually used it myself, but we deal with Alias files on a regular basis. I love getting files created in Alias much more than any other type of file I get (Solidworks, Pro/E, Rhino, and even some Velum). Never have any problems with them like trimming surfaces and modifying stuff like I sometimes do with the others (when it comes to more complex stuff anyway).

As far as free-form surfaces go, I don't think you can beat Alias. I've seen stuff that comes out of Pro/E that looks just as good (at first look anyway) but gives you trouble all the way through the project (stuff missing, surfaces wont trim, etc..). Nothin I can't work around, it's just nice not to have to. I'd love to get a chance to learn to use Alias, I've seen it used and it looks really cool cool.gif

Moldplus for Mastercam is a great tool for parting, slicing and creating molds fairly quikly. I haven't used the v9 version yet though, if I need to use it, I bring it in v8.1.1 and run moldplus there.

[ 12-16-2002, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]