Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Post Prosessor VOODOO

CEMENTHEAD

Tip of the hat to "Manufacturing Concepts Corp."

After upgrade training to 9 and solids, Post tweaking was offered No Charge, and much appreciated!!

Another Tip to those of you also, who have the talent and knowledge to do ANYTHING to improve a post!!

Tell ya, I've got ENOUGH on my plate without THAT headache!!

Happy New Year All!! cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...James really needs to get a life!!!

For someone with only 4 posts in here, you need to get a clue pal!!!!!!! I share almost everything. Got a few years? Posts are not something learned in a few hours, days, or weeks. Months and years.

You'll get nothing from me!!!!

OUT!!!!

quote:

Geez,, it's sad. James really needs to get a life!!! I am sure many will agree.. I can only say that you pay enough for the initial program you wouldn't think you had to go spend thousands of dollars for a post.. Share the knowledge, I would if someone would show me how to change or modify a post.

CNC Software has a manual for writng post processors avalible (see your dealer), and there are help files on this site for interpreting NCI files (necessary if you will be generating a post and/or to see what is wrong with the post you wrote). FWIW, my copy of the V8 post manual is 30 chapters plus two apendixes. One of them (chapter 9, the all-important numeric variable reference) is over 500 pages long. This isn't a skill you are gonna pick up on a coffee break.

If you do decide to take up custom post writing out of the goodness of your heart - no compinsation required - please let me know. I have some little things I'd like to change in the posts I am using, and don't have the time to do it myself.

I have been using Mastercam for over 10 years and just today found out about this forum. Then this is the first thread I looked at. Now I am not sure what I stumbled into.

One thing is for sure, I am going to raise my prices for writing posts.

There are three reasons I charge:

1) There are other things I can do that are more fun.

2) It helps me find people to work for that respect me.

3) Go back to 1 and 2.

The Webby picks up the mallet, and slowly walks to the gong with these thoughts:

I'm disappointed with the number of nasty threads that have appeared over the holidays. Not that this topic of this thread is nasty, just how people are treating one another.

I'll respond to the concept of readily available free posts.

Let me first say that at our company we try to provide 2-Axis lathe and 3/4-Axis mill posts at no charge. We charge for heavy customization, and complex machine tools like 5-Axis mills. This is best balance that we've been able to achieve to both serve customers and earn fair revenue for our services.

Some packages end at APT-CL, and rely entirely on 3rd party post processors. It's only natural that the 3rd parties charge for their software and customization services. Do they really care what you paid for the upstream package?

CNC Software includes a flexible post engine (MP.DLL) and excellent master posts like Mpfan and Mplfan. Other posts are offered on the install CD, but it may be increasing more difficult to stay on top of every machine tool and control available on the market. Machine tools are getting much more complicated, and the Mastercam product line is broadening. There is no way that CNC Software can be expected to provide everything on an installation CD.

Is the reseller then expected to deliver post writing services at no charge? I need to be paid, and few owners will fork out the dough to have someone on staff to provide this work while bringing in no revenue. In fact as machine tools become more complex, I'd argue that you need someone with decent programming skills in addition to their understanding of machinery and control codes.

I'll I can say from my experience is that those who are exclusively interested in *saving* money have a tough time paying for posts. Those who are interested in *making* money never seem to have any issues when it comes to paying for a customized post that offers edit-free code.

I think users are seeing a shift in the philosophy of post delivery, and some don't like what they are seeing. My point is that I don't see that it can go any other way if the delivery of posts is to done properly.

This thread is closed.