Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Roll Cutter Around Corner

Rekd™

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...going from department to department learning every aspect of business (from the assembly line to purchasing). It was a major eye-opener. Corporations just don't do that anymore and I believe that the entire workforce suffers as a result.

WOW! That's pretty cool. Too bad that does not happen these days.

I don't mean to come down hard on those guys. I usually do as a direct result of what I am currently on at the time. I'm working on a doosey of a part. The Solid model was wrong to begin with(no mating clearances, features improperly represented, etc... ad infinitum), the DWG section views don't match up, only some aspects of the revision change have been correctly drawn so basically I'm having to go through this thing with a fine tooth comb. A job that should take a week to program is now on it's second week... mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif all for lack of attention to detail. So if I have offended some Engineers in our fine audience I apologize.

JM2C

"Turning" edit 01-10-03 AM.

Roll cutter around corners is a feature that controls how the tool nose radius handles intersections. As the nose rad will actually need to be adjusted for tapered intersections (remember the compensation amounts using sine and cosine from CNC-101?).

Roll around corners gives some options to this - None, Sharp and All. Experiment with a simple profile and turn the switch to all settings and observe the results (after a regen of coarse).

The corner break wish list already exists. See the corner break switch directly below in the dialogue box - open this to see the available features.

Thad - Gibbs isn't the only kidd on the block with nifty features...

Hope this answers the required question to the original post - and hey guys, lets give the engineering guys a little slack, When designing a five million dollar assembly with thirty thousand features, who gives a hoot if they don't dimension a .005 radius to break an edge...

[ 01-10-2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Andrew McRae ]

Hi rekd-- This has been more interesting than I had first thought.

This is actualy what I do---------------

I draw .003 edges on parts, and I use a 1/4" spot drill to put a .002 or .003 chamfer on it. I don't use chamfer for this , i call the tool a .100 e.m. and program it Z= -.050. I have been doing this since V1, I am willing to change if we get a deburring button.(this is not advise) I know this may not be wright for anyone else, I am just answering

quote:

Do you also draw the edge breaks on the faces of your parts?

I leave everything on molds SHARP until I am near completion.

[ 01-10-2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

at our place we hire interns for the summer /break and the first 3 weeks they shadow people in the shop and the assembly floor to give them some insight as to how things are done in the real world i know 3 weeks is hardly enought time but it helps and they have all said no other intern job gave then that exposure and this way when they are hired after graduation they know alittle bit about the manufacturing end of the projects and being the programmer i can see it in there work ex: not overly tight dimintionson a tapped hole biggrin.gif

quote:

Chief Engineer for Honeywell

Looks like I've built some prototypes for you Gary (or at least your company) in the past smile.gif Some cool stuff too cool.gif

I think that an edege break option sounds like good idea. Probably alot of people that would use it, although I don't think I would. All the prototypes that go out of here get hand finished and painted so if I need an edge break on something, it'll usually be done by hand. Might even be quicker that way for us.

And I'm with you guys, 95% of the time I draw exactly what I cut. Even if its a file I'm importing and there are areas without surfaces that will end up being verticle walls on the machined part, I will make the verticle surfaces. This way what I see is what I get and I'm not surprised with anything I might have overlooked. Most of my toolpaths only ever get run 1 time so its gotta be right that first time eek.gif

[ 01-10-2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

quote:

The corner break wish list already exists. See the corner break switch directly below in the dialogue box - open this to see the available features.

Where?? I don't see it. Does it let you roll the cutter around a sharp edge and knock off a specified amount?

quote:

I am willing to change if we get a deburring button.

In a contouring operation, under Contour Parameters, on the bottom of the window towards the left, there is a drop down list with an option called 2D Chamfer. You use existing contour geometry, and a chamfer tool. Very useful feature.

The 2D chamfer on a a contour toolpath is a very powerful feature - you can break a flat 2D edge just enough that you need a magnifier to see it - without a lot of calculations or tool comp to get there. Multi-flute chamfer cutters work very nicely to give a clean edge-break.

No offense taken, James. I have had to scrap entire designs because the engineer in charge did not take into account that it had to be put together - have you ever tried to install a blind fastener FROM INSIDE THE CLOSED BOX! Seen it designed that way. biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, a lot of engineers DO get into a mindset that won't consider the possibility that there are better ways of doing things. I have even had experienced engineers go through 3D CAD training only to promptly go back to drawing everything in 2D mode. I refuse to draw in 2D mode when I can "make" the part in virtual reality, fit the pieces together, check clearances and fits (with the tolerances applied), and be absolutely certain that the assembly will work properly BEFORE I cut metal. As I am sure that all of you know - Its REALLY tough to stick that metal back on.....

arggghhhhh - It just occurred to me that I am guilty of hijacking this thread..... Sorry guys rolleyes.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

have you ever tried to install a blind fastener FROM INSIDE THE CLOSED BOX! Seen it designed that way.

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Have you ever seen a part with NEGATIVE draft that somebody INSISTS can be molded? eek.gifeek.gif Seen that too, several times.

quote:

Thad - Gibbs isn't the only kidd on the block with nifty features...

I didn't say/imply that they were. I just had to snicker when Rekd (read his sig) was inquiring about a possible new feature on MC when it already existed on Gibbs. That's all.

Thad

quote:

Have you ever seen a part with NEGATIVE draft that somebody INSISTS can be molded? Seen that too, several times.

Especially a closed, interior contour with a one degree negative draft. Actually you can do an injection mold of such a feature - ONCE. Then you throw the mold away with the molded part in it. I saw that done once because the project manager insisted that his "pet" engineer couldn't be wrong. biggrin.gif

quote:

Actually you can do an injection mold of such a feature - ONCE. Then you throw the mold away with the molded part in it.

That's beautiful!

To be fair, though, I once designed and built a welding fixture that I couldn't get the part out of after I welded it eek.gifmad.gifeek.gif

D'Oh!! I chalk it up to a learning experience (like THINK even when you're in a hurry) and laugh about it now, but it wasn't particularly funny at the time.

C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually you can do an injection mold of such a feature - ONCE. Then you throw the mold away with the molded part in it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all

As a mold-maker---

In the 70,s and 80,s ,,, collapsible core molds was my specialty.

I am now happy to cut parts.

quote:

In the 70,s and 80,s ,,, collapsible core molds was my specialty.

I am now happy to cut parts.

Understand! Unfortunately the engineer in charge of the project mentioned just couldn't get his mind around the problem. He wouldn't even consider the idea of a collapsable mold - therefore a part "captured" in the mold with no way to release it. I wish that I could say that he did learn from it - but I can't.

cheers.gif

WOW! look what I helped start!

IMO, the biggest problem on the Engineering side comes from getting part files (IGES, .X_T, etc.) that have dimensions like 1.000 +.020/-0 where the part is drawn at 1". Whoever teaches these guys to do this should be taken out and shot. If it's just a print, I need to draw it anyway, but when I get a file and have to redraw it... mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

quote:

dimensions like 1.000 +.020/-0 where the part is drawn at 1". Whoever teaches these guys to do this should be taken out and shot

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that deals with this! Our engineering guys say really smart things like "can't you just offset to get that..?"

My hands do pulse for a throat to hold in these moments..

I have used both methods mentioned in this lengthy posting. I like the idea of automatic corner fillets (one click away) but many times have also drawn in the mean of the standard radius needed.

Some thoughts:

1. If you draw in some 1000 R.01 corner rads and then decide you would rather have them at R.005 your going to be there a while changing your geometry.

2. It seems to me that the automatic rolling corneres will sometimes skip features depending on the geometry charicteristics.

3. If there was a new feature controlling the radial size there might be some undesired and automatic rads created. For example if the print calls for some .015 x 45 corners and you have the auto radius turned to R.005 (the mean of a standard note) it would roll the tangencies of the 45 effectively wiping out the prints callout.

I think the idea would be a nice addition to our software and we should all be appreciative that there are continual ideas being presented that make our jobs better and successful.

[ 01-16-2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Toby ]