Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

One last time...

OlympiaHS

Ok, last question, then I'll be fine...How do I turn off the limit switch? where is it or better yet, what is it? There are no other physical buttons on the machine other than the main power and the red emergency shut off.

I'm trying to run a program, or even just jog and it tells me to please move the machine off the limit switch. Also, on the display it shows a 2, which tells me that the switch is on.

[ 01-08-2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: OlympiaHS ]

OlympiaHS,

If you are referring to the limit switch on the CNC machine, it's usually under the faring on the ways so it won't get wet with coolant. The limit switch is a safety switch designed to stop the motion of the ways or spindle head to prevent costly damage to the machine during operation. The travel limits should be outlined in each machine's handbook. You can program beyond the limits of the machine in Mastercam or any other CAM software so you have to be careful to know the limits of each machine. HTH biggrin.gif

I also agree with Zero. Don't turn them off! I'm not even sure if there is a way to turn them off. You may have to manually back the ways off the switch and "Home" the machine before you can, or should do anything else. Good Luck. smile.gif

[ 01-08-2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]

Looks like I was editing my post as you were yours. Try manualy moving the bed toward the "center" more.... As Peter said, the limit switches are where your machine stops moving for the sake of its own safety. Usually they kick the servos off so no more movement can be made until its manualy moved to a "safe" position again. I've set up "soft limits" on both my machines that are just inside my "hard" limits. When the machine reaches these it will stop, but not kick off the servos, which comes in really handy sometimes.

[ 01-08-2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

Zero,

"D'OH!!"

quote:

Looks like I was editing my post as you were yours.

I hate when that happens. Good idea about the "soft limits". I keep forgetting some of those basic machine issues because I've been in an office environment without running the machines like I used to. I miss getting grimy with coolant (Not!). Just miss running machines every now and then.

On one machine I have seen, reaching the limit switchg stopped the machine and displayed an error mesage, and after clearing the error message, you could hit the jog key to move that axis. If you moved it towards the center, everything was of course OK, if you hit the jog key away from the center the error message showed up again. That error message could be displayed three times, but if you hit the jog key away from the center after clearing the error message the third time, then the machine obediently did as you insisted, ad moved beyond the safety limit switch.

Wouldn't you know, some fool actually ignored that error message all three times. In the Z+ direction no less, running the spindle/toolchanger assembly off the top of the spindles. The guideways fortunately prevented the spindle/toolchanger assembly from falling anywhere.

OlympiaHS

On Fanuc Robocut Wire EDMs (and I would imagine other Fanuc controllers) there are soft limits that can be set from within the controller. I don't know if Mastercam can set or activate/deactivate these or not. Check the controller operations manual to set soft limits from the controller.

-AW-

If The soft limits can be set within the NC program, then it would require post processor customization to implement that. The soft limits would then be set/activated/deactivated using the Misc. var. dialog, or through questions that appear when post processing. Activation/deactivation could also be done using Canned Text entries, but that function does not allow specific values to be entered, and soft limits almost never have to be changed in mid-operation, they are normally only changed at tool changes, to prevent large tools from colliding with parts of the machine.

OlympiaHS,

I'm using the same Techno machine everyday and know it well. The #2 error can be corrected by turning of the machine and manually turning the offending axis of the limit switch. The table travel is so small it is easy to over travel with parts over 8" X 8" depending on what model you have.

Also it is critical where you set up 0,0 on the machine and the part. I would home the machine and then measure your travel for all the axes so you know the total travel available.

Let me know if you need any help with the communications or getting it up and running.

Stephen is going to be your best help. The rest of these guys are too busy picking steel/titanium chips out of their ears to understand what is going on. These little demo/desktop machines are a nightmare to get going right - especially when the instructor that is grading you has no Idea how the thing is supposed to work!

Sounds like you are making good progess but mind the machine when using some of the advise from here, the class can get other students - you only get 10 fingers...

quote:

The rest of these guys are too busy picking steel/titanium chips out of their ears

I am deaf from noise from the mill and it`s air cooler milling some insert HRC55 with long insert mill making red chips .

I always check a machine for overtravel in problematic parts before writing a program

Personally I will change the program and live the limits as they are.

To @#$% a machine is a matter of seconds to repair it takes a lot of time and money

[ 01-09-2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]