Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine recommendations???

Dave8022

My school is considering purchasing a new CNC Mill and CNC Lathe that will work with MasterCam. I wanted to get an idea of what is being used, and what any of you would suggest.

Mill size...minimum workable size about 12" x 6". The lathe can be any size...just a quality machine that will last. Any suggestions for machines, please respond ASAP. We are in the budget process. Money is obviously important...please include the price of your machines in your response. Our price range...approximately $5,000 - $15,000. Any Info. would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks- [email protected]

quote:

Our price range...approximately $5,000 - $15,000. Any Info. would be greatly appreciated!!

I hope you left out a zero or two, you can't buy a Bridgeport knock-off with a 2 axis ProtoTRAK for less than 15K these days.

Speaking of Bridgeport, there is a big auction there (Connecticut) next week, there are a bunch of CNC machines in the flyer; probably some good deals there!

C

At IMTS I have seen bench top machines that fit the table size for the mill requirement. But as I recall the minimum price never gets below 20K due to the basic costs of the electrics. The HAAS MiniMill is one mill to look at. Good iron, tool changer, simple operator interface, same control as the largest machine in their fleet. But the price is about 30K. Check with HAAS about sympathy pricing for educational purchases.

A used machine at the price range your looking at is a steal.

A HAAS Mini Mill or there toolroom mill would be a good little machines but it is a little out of your price range. Maybe since you are a school Haas my give you a deal? They also sell control simulators(SP?) that are also a good tool for learning code on. Sorry I do not know the price though.

We use Okuma lathes and Maho HMC's. A crappy used Maho goes about $50,000, and the Okuma's that we have TRIPLE that price! Good luck. Your school, maybe, could by a manual lathe out of Harbor Frieght for that price.

Lots of luck,

cheers.gif

[ 01-29-2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Toolfab ]