Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Questions about v9.1

Rick Damiani

I have some questions about fixes in V9.1 for those of you using V9.1.

WCS related:

1) I have noticed that Job Setup's stock definition seems to change depending on what WCS is active. This makes verify somewhat difficult to use, as the defined stock jumps around. Is this fixed in 9.1?

2) Creating construction planes with a WCS active is difficult. Try this:

- Create a solid box

- Make a WCS on the front face of the box using Entity|Solid Face from the select menu and move the origin point to one of the corners of that box.

- Make the new WCS active.

- Click on the Cplane button in the secondary menu and use the Entity|Solid Face option to create a cplane on the top face of the box.

What I expect is a new cplane on the top face of the box. What I get is a new cplane with a displaced origin on the front of the box. I see other even less rational displacements when I use imported CAD files that are not located at the origin.

3) When I change WCSs, I almost always have to re-set my cplane and toolplane as they move into bizare places seemingly unrelated to thier original locations.

4) I leave the origin lines on most of the time, as they help me retain my orentation in space. I'd like to see the brown system origin lines follow the WCS, and have the cyan and green origin lines show up only when I displace the cplane/tplane from the WCS origin.

Toolpaths:

1) If I use 'Change Common Parameters' to change program numbers or coolant settings for an entire operation group, I find that I need to regen most of the toolpaths (not, surprisingly enough, all). Changing these parameters should not require a regen of the paths in V9.

2) Importing operations from another file (i.e. to attach them to a new version of a solid model) when the imported groups contain more than one op using a defined workplane generates an error about multipule definitions for workplane ##, which means I have to go to each operaton and re-define the WCS it is using.

Translation:

1) Imporitng (or attmpting to import) Inventor R6 files crashes MasterCAM. Using MasterCAM Direct from Inventor R6 crashes MasterCAM, too. Using MasterCAM Direct from Invnetor R5.x on a system with Inventor R6 installed *also* crashes MasterCAM. As I do my solid modeling in Invnetor R6, this is somewhat annoying.

The WCS issues are particularly vexing, as they make it hard for me to show my students how to use them. Some of them manage to work around it, but it trips a lot of the rest of them up.

• 2 weeks later...