Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

pocketing using mastercam9

Francis

I was trying to pocket a letter so that it (letter) is raised using mastercam9 I get a message "not all boundries are closed. Select open pockets or close chains." However, when I change the pocket type to "open" I did not get any error message but the letter is not cut when I verify, that is, I can only see the block. frown.gif

Francis

Try sketching a containment boundry around

the letter.After selecting the rectangle

you created and the letter geom.choose done.

Then select the area you want to cut.

Anywere inside the contian boundry.

You will also need to select areas inside the

letter if needed.

hope this helps

Welcome to the forum.

For simple pocket you have to choose closed chain and the end mill will work inside.

It looks like your chain is open somewhere ,create a new one and try again.

as for problems in verify,did you choose bounding box to definite the stock??

Francis,

try Main Menu, Analyze, Chain and select your pocket boundary starting at different points on the chain. The arrow specifying chain direction will likely keep snapping to a single intersection or location and that is where your chain is open. Go to Modify, Trim, 2 Entities and trim the two entities at the intersection to each other to close the opening and re-analyze the chain. If the arrow snaps to the closest point of the area you select the chain then it is fixed...if it keeps snapping to a different point/intersection even when you select the chain from a different area then it will need to be trimmed there as well. Good luck and let us know how it worked,

Steve

Steve that works well with say a singal or two chane processe were you see were the red arrow stops, this is were you either have a broken chain or another dup enitity or a segmented being a partail enitity. other wise when doing sevral chains at one time like window around you will only get the green arrows.

But as a posket mastercam will highlight the group of enitities that will not close.

I have also had problems with lettering when using CREATE-LETTERS-NEXT. If using anything but a stick letter and you try to chain them, you may occassionly get an error. The error is the result of untrimmed lines on the letter geometry. As I recall, I thing the letter "C" is one of the culprits.