Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Extending surfaces

Diedesigner

Hi all; the 3D newbie here,

My part has complex surfaces which end at a vertical plane. These edges need to kept sharp because this part is one of many die sections which fit together at the vertical walls, and the surfaces continue from one die section to another.

My thinking is that I can keep the integrity of the edges by extending the surfaces past the vertical planes where they end, so that the cutter paths will flow smoothly following the surface projections.

confused.gif I cannot figure out how to accomplish this. MC keeps telling me I cannot extend trimmed surface edges.

Can any of you offer some advice here, maybe a step-by-step to create an extension which follows the surface form?

mad.gif Is there a better way to keep the edges from becoming erose in appearance?

Many thanks for any advice which will help me "cut my teeth" in this world of 3D machining.

Regards,

Chris

In the past when I have needed to extend a trimmed suface I first create curves from the surface edges, then untrim the suface. You can then extend the untrimmed surface to the desired length that you want. I then project a curve back on to that suface at the height I want. You may also need to project the surface edge curves on to the same suface. I then trim the surface back to the curves I projected on to the untrimmed surface.

Hope this helps

[ 02-18-2003, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Lucky 7 ]

Diedesigner,

You could also Untrim the surface(s) you need to trim to the vertical planes. Select the Modify-Trim-Surface-Untrim function and select the surface. For the "Dispose" switch, I would suggest deleting the old surface because you'll end up with overlapping surfaces if you don't. Once the surface is Untrimmed, you can trim/extend the edges to planes, curves, or other surfaces but you won't be able to do this more than once for each edge. HTH biggrin.gif

Hi

The methodes discribed above will work well.

Also you might just be luck enough to a mold parting line that you can move up .010 while looking in the front veiw. Then your parting line can be re-cut after you polish the mold surfs.

And for the price of a weekend in Vegas---the MOLD PLUS chook will extend the trimed surfs and creat parting lines realy quickly.

Now that Solids has taken over if you could make the surfs into a solid in V9, make your alterations, and then convert back to surfs?

Hi

Please visit the Moldplus website for a quick and effective solution. www.moldplus.com

You can extend multiple sets of surfaces (trimmed or un-trimmed) to planes, tangentially or as offset surfaces at various angles.

Please contact your local Mastercam reseller for more information on the product.

If you do this very often, this will save you time and money!

Regards

Anbu