Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Kinda...CimcoEdit Question

Brent Wilkerson

I have a CimcoEdit question...

It's just more of an annoyance than a problem.

I got the DNC Setup correct to send to the machine but the receive is kind of jazzed up. I do get it to tranfer from the machine(s) but I have 2 extra CR/LF, carriage returns/blank lines. I've tried different settings and can not get rid of them.

It's on fanuc controllers and the setttings receive in CimcoEdit are -

CR/LF: Auto

Start Tigger: BLANK

Omit Lines contaning: BLANK

End Tigger: BLANK

Remove characters: All below ASCII32

Receive Timeout: 5 seconds

I believe I have the parameter set right on the machine. I have the options of "LF, CR, CR are output" or "Only LF is ouput"

Like I said not a big deal just a pain.

Lastly is it better to crank up the baud rate up the highest bps it will go or not?

TIA! cheers.gif

Brent

[ 02-21-2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Brent Wilkerson ]

Brent

Sorry; I can't help on the extra lines. Hopefully Anthony or somebody from Cimco can help out.

Just curious; did you call Cimco? I've talked with them a few times and they seem to be very helpful.

On the baud rate, it really doesn't gain you much to wind it up unless you have very large programs. We typically run 9600 with good success; I don't feel the need to go any faster.

C

CR/LF: Auto

I had the same problem and adjusted the above setting. I am not in front of my DNC computer, but I believe I changed it to either /10, /12, or /10/12. One of those combinations will work. I'll take a look at exactly what setting I have in the morning and repost if you haven't already fixed it.

GOOD EVENiN,

In your Cimco---

If you have ver 4.22.02 or near, under

NC funtions - you have "remove empty lines"

...I have had trouble with LF/CR on Fanuc.

also we used to set MC comunications to

DOS mode and that would remove the extra

line spaces. There is a parameter in the

Fanuc control that also will control

LF/CR... if you call Fanuc USA biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

HTH

Tony G

It sounds to me that you are using a cimco

supplied version in mastercam 8.

I had the same problem with the version 8 mcam.

When we upgraded to v9sp1,it worked fine for

me without having to make a lot of changes except

for baude rate ect....

I also have my flow control set to hardware/software.

I agree with Chris,9600 is a plenty enough baude rate.

Some older machines,even if you match up baude

rate params.they will only run at max 4800,or

you will not get the whole program using 9600.

This was true for my 1985 Hitachi Seiki. wink.gif

Brent,

In case you haven't worked the CR/LF issue out yet, here are two things you can try on the software side:

A. If you are using the version supplied with V8 and have not downloaded an update from eMastercam.com you should update your version. Do this:

1. Click on Patches in the Nav menu above.
  2. In the right hand column scroll down to Updated CIMCO Edit and click on the hyperlink.
  3. Complete the basic info in the form and download.
  4. Install the update and test.

B. If you are using the latest version you can adjust a few settings to remove an extra LF during a Receive operation:

1. Open CIMCO Edit
  2. Go to Transmission (pull-down menu selection) and select Setup from the menu
  3. When the Setup dialog appears select your machine or port from the list and click Setup
  4. When the Machine/Port setup dialog opens click on the Receive tab
  5. Set CR/LF: Auto (or) 1310. Or, Enable the Omit empty lines checkbox, by checking it
  6. Click Ok to close dialog, Ok again to close main setup dialog, test...

There is a parameter setting in your control to output a standard CR/LF for each line but you'll have to call your service guy to figure out which parameters to change if it is not in the manual.

Call us if you are still having problems.

978-728-0014, ask for CIMCO Support

I was using the version 8 then when we updated to 9 I still was using 8 mainly cause it wasn't a big deal because we were mainly uploading to the machine. Now I have to dump all the machine(s) programs to the computer and I was now having this problem. I was using an updated Cimco Edit but not the most current offered from the patches page. I will be downloading the programs from the machine(s) this afternoon and will use the 43011 version and check all the settings. I'll repost with the results.

Thanks alot all! smile.gif

Brent

Anthony,

Ok results using new version of Cimco Edit from patches page version 4.30.11. Nothing. I could not get it to transfer at all. I set the same settings as before and it would not transfer. I get a DR signal error from the control. Went back to the older version and it worked, with the extra blank lines though.

The version I'm using that works is 4.10.13

I may just have to call your tech. support line.

Any help is very appreciated.

Brent

Bucket Head,

An older version, one that happened to get released with a version of V8, didn't actually insert extra or empty lines, but saved the program exactly as it was output from the CNC control. This issue was with an Auto CR/LF option under Receive. When set to Auto it should automatically save the file with a single CR/LF at the end of each line. (Regardless of the CR/LF combination output from the CNC.) In the case of the version mentioned above, the Auto feature was not working correctly, and would save the CR/LF structure received from the CNC.

How we discovered this...

Since a very large number of Mastercam programmers use CIMCO Edit as their default editor we receive a lot of feedback when ever a new version is released with a new release of Mastercam (new or point/update). A few of our customers reported the issue and we knew immediately that the auto CR/LF function wasn't working correctly. One of our developers fixed it and it was posted to our site, and eMastercam.com, immediately. Now, the suspect version released and burnt to the Mastercam CD was still being distributed and we would get calls periodically about this issue. Our response, "Go to our website, or eMastercam.com and download the latest version of CIMCO Edit OEM for Mastercam... install, and test." 100% of the time the problem disappeared.

Side Note: A quick fix for the original problem was to manually set the CR/LF to 1310 in the Port setup dialog, Receive tab.

[ 02-26-2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Anthony Graves ]