Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

UG Drawing Files

KCollins

Does anyone know of a UG viewer or converter that can read native UG drawing files? My customer has become accustomed to sending me the drawing files which would make our lives a lot easier if we could read them. The UG converter won't read the two dimensional data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

There used to be a FREE software package from Solid Edge (UG's little sister) called Origin. You can go to Solid Edge's Website and look for it. It's a nice little software package. You can actually draw and do some things with it. Check it out. I think you can download it, if not, you can send away for it.

Solid Edge can read UG solid bodies, sheet bodies, and assembly structure, including occurrence names, occurrence color, and file names.

Solid Edge does not read point and curve data from UG files.

Both Solid Edge and UG are using Parasolid v14. So Mastercam can not import either a this time unless they are saved in v13.

BTW, UG does not fully read Solid Edge either.

The easiest way might be to request parasolid files which I believe they can save in a older parasolid version, I can in SE, so they can be read directly into Mastercam.

I would think, although do not know, that Mastercam v9.1 will have the latest parasolid version. I have been some what dissapointed that Mastercam has not offered a parasolid upgrade since solids are becoming so common.

[ 02-27-2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Tom Smith ]

I have used the UG converter with great sucess importing into mastercam. It works excellent on the solid models...but only on the solid models....

I try and avoid non-native UG exports for our customers if at all possible. I deal with about 40 different engineers when trying to get prints and most have little or no experience with other forms of data....the native UG has worked best for us so far.

Thanks for the info on the other programs....I will definately check them out.

Kevin