Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sluggish & Outdated...

Chris@JNM

Hi Chris,

I can understand your problem. Wer test here many graphic cards and the result is always different. Because Mastercam support only basic OpenGL language some card settings can me slow down the system. The first step we do is to set all graphic card function to off or to the min. value. Make the card stupid. Remove all extended and advanced settings - like Hardware acceleration, ...

Then load your part and try. If it is now faster, set one option. If this one makes the system slow, remove it. With some cards it is like a game. With one setting it works, with some not.

We test here also new cards from the manufactures, card that actual not on the market and Mastercam has on some PCs problems. But we can not say why. In a AMD 1400+ with Win XP the card is not working, with an AMD 2000+ and XP it works fine.

Do not compare mastercam with other cad systems like SolidWorks. They use a different OpenGL support.

Importand is also the setting in the config.

What is your database allocation, what the Toolpath allocation?

Please list all allocations and also the size of the Windows pagefile.

regards

Andreas

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Interesting fact that I found out last month.

The parallel port sim can be traded for a usb sim at your dealer, I only found this out about one month ago; this makes sim swapping ultra convenient for front mounted usb's - it also allows for simple security rather than crawling under the desk everyday.

Yup, the USB SIM can be awfully convnent. What works even better, IMO, is a network SIM. That's what I'm using at my school. One key on your server, and you can float your MC licenses, up to the number of seats you have, over as many boxes as you like. You can even check out licenses across routers if you configure it right. I can work at home, over my wireless network, without digging my key out.

quote:

Andreas, I'm running a Quadro4 550 XGL, do you have and setting suggestions for this card?

If I could offer a suggestion...

Try setting OpenGL's vertical sync setting to "Off by default" to speed things up. This way your video card won't try to slow down to sync up the refresh rate with that of your monitor. If you end up experiencing image "tearing", turn it back on.

This started as an interesting topic. I didn't have any great ideas, but even if I did, I don't know if I would share them with someone who needs more help with thier attitude than with thier hardware.

Still, being a curious sort, I was wondering if there has been any resolution or will I need to visit the BB of another software to hear more of this A-hole's ranting.

Easy on the slams everyone. This is a client of ours and we're trying to resolve their issues in a professional manner.

We've been trying to scheduled an on-site visit so that we can deal with everything directly. Right now the ball is in their court, needing to decide whether or not they will allow us to assist.