Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

milling strategy

Surface

I’m looking at a through pocket, .35 x 1.25 x 4 inches deep. Aluminum. .125 radii in the corners. At some point I see myself using a ¼ x 2 inch endmill and finishing the pocket from both sides. My question is the best roughing strategy for something like this. I have a bunch of em. How does plunge roughing work in a situation like this?

Good evenin'

I have a bunch of em. How does plunge roughing work in a situation like this?

? Do you mean by plunge roughing

Plunge a bunch of possible broken "em"S.

I would drill a .312 hole thru...O, by the

way...are you trying to do it ( fast )

to save time, or is time not a factor...

sorry, ever since I was laid off I think,

if I could of worked a little faster,

Would I still be EMPLOYED...?

But anyway...

Maybe (4) .281 diam.s Thru, to alow the chips

to fall thru, then bring on those bunch of em.

and go, like you said 2" from both sides.

I usually use a contour at this point, and

start ( plunge ) in one of those thru holes

Better to plunge a drill than an em.

their cheeper. cheers.gif

HTH

Tony G

Unemployed Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Sothern New Hamshire

Plunge roughing with a big drill moves material fast. But first I would drill the .250 dia's, (the .125 corner radii), then after it's all roughed, clean up the corners and walls. Much cleaner corners without the deflection, and faster.

'Rekd teh Effecient

REKD

Plunge roughing with a big drill moves material fast.

How much "BIG" is a .281 to .250...???

Is that ant/elephant ratio.?

Buddy...I would plunge the corners too

But the slot is only .35 wide...

thats why I said .28 (4) in a row

would remove the most material from

the total slot and also let the chips

fall thru and use only a finsh mill

with multi-pass to rough and finsh

fast.

Tony G

Unemployed Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Sothern New Hamshire

This is just me but I would drill a .3125 hole at each end of the pocket making sure I leave .015" stock or so. Then draw a line from the center of each hole in Mastercam and do a contour ramp with no cutter comp on a .3125 em. Inside of the ramp parameters set it to plunge and set the depth to .200". This will cut -.200" deep in one direction then plunge down to -.400" and cut back in the other direction and so forth. And then to finish it I would use a .250" em with .250" flute and the rest clearanced and do a ramp toolpath down to the depth of -2.010 fron each side. If you can put a small radius or even just break the corner on the end mill where the clearance starts you will get a very nice finish.

my .02 cents

let us know what works

I reread your post and you said .125 radius, my finish tool would then be a 7/32 em instead of 1/4

quote:

By the way, how deos the name "rekd"

come to be...?

Been using "Fu-NRekd" (replace "-" with "k") for years on forums, games, even got a 12" high sticker on the back of my toy hauler. I won't post the picture, but here's a link. If you're offended by an "insinuated" bad word, don't go here!

quote:

I personally liked his old comment under his name.

Anybody here remember the stuff about crack addicts spittin' out babies while on gov't assistance?

Yes, that was one of my favs too. Unfortunately, a person on this forum was probably either a crack addict, a balding politition, or with the IRS, because he/she/it whined about it so I was asked to remove it. rolleyes.gif

'Rekd teh Suppressed

[ 03-24-2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Drill out as much as possible with a normal drill, then come back with an end mill to remove the corners left by the drill. Use "ramp" to machine half the part, if your tolerance allows. Use pins to locate on when you do your flip in the slot and continue machining as you did op #1. Use all your tolerance you can on the "high" side so that you can use the biggest end mill possible.