Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using a STL file for 2nd op.

efred5

Can any of you guys give me a quick way to save my STL file from operation #1, and bring that cut geometry back into MasterCAM to use as my 3D model for operation #2? (I tried to convert the saved STL file over to a solid in diffrent formats, ie: Parasolid, Step, etc. and I keep getting all of the triangles from the STL. This makes everything run slow because of itssize.) confused.gif

if you use the true solid feture when verifing yourtoolpath you can select the STL file button on the verify page and save the true solid as an STL model. then when you go to verify other toolpaths select the file option in the verify config page ( located at top left corner and select th STL model you wish to use to verify

cool.gif

Hey Phil,

I don't know if you remember me, but I had your Saturday class @ Prism for Kern & Szalai. In any case I know how to save the STL, but I want to bring that cut part back into Mcam (8.1) and mount the part on a fixture as a solid model to do my toolpaths for the second side. (X,Y,Z origin points will be diffrent from op. 1)

quote:

In any case I know how to save the STL, but I want to bring that cut part back into Mcam (8.1) and mount the part on a fixture as a solid model to do my toolpaths for the second side. (X,Y,Z origin points will be diffrent from op. 1)

You can use an STL file as the source "surface" for any of the surface toolpaths, but to do this for all your second-op work seems like way too much trouble. What I would suggust is creating a WCS on the side of the part you want to do the second ops on, and generating the necessary toolpaths on that WCS.

Why do I not see this supposed STL chook

in my directory.

Yes you can "download" the stlxform from the

"patches site", but it is labled for mcam 8!

Why would it not be in my v9sp1 ??

Could someone PLEASE explain this to me?

I have been trying to figure out how to save a stl file in verify,then flip it over and verify toolpath for the other side.

I have looked at the other "old posts" on this subject and it says to download from the patch site! confused.gif

Why would i download a chook for v8 into my sp1?

Thank you

Hi efred,

I read your original question and if I understand correctly since your using 8.1 Mill I would update to 8.1.1 then use the first link below to get all the patches you might need. The second link goes right to download stlxform.exe if you don't have it. Save it wherever you want but make sure and read the instructions. After that's done you can run MC and using Alt-C run stlxform and flip your part over from whatever origin you want. Now save that stl file and name accordingly. Finally you can run Verify and call that file. Long winded I know but I went thru the same thing trying to figure it out too. biggrin.gif

http://www.emastercam.com/patches/v8/index.html

http://www.emastercam.com/patches/v8/chooks/stlxform.exe