Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thinking of returning to Programming

Zsolt67

It appears you stopped reading after "completely uncalled for", because the "joke" portion of that statement comes right after that.. smile.gif

quote:

completely un-called for.. before you go making statements like this please warn me to fasten my seat belt; my ears are still ringing from when I fell over backwards and smacked my head on the concrete floor

(BTW, I fell over backwards because I was laughing so hard.)

Rekd teh "My ears are STILL ringing"

Well we are straying away from the topic a bit, but thats ok. I agree employers would rather pay $12 p/h for a unskilled worker and get crap, probably late everyday, or otherwise unreliable. I was very happy working when I knew I was getting paid what I was worth. Some of the people may have thought otherwise (I made more than my boss lol) but still I turned out alot of work, sometimes working 6-7 days a week. Unfortunetly that 6 figure job dried up (airline industry) I would consider working for less, for a company thank I could possibly being a part of the business, maybe buying in or becoming a partner. My family and I ran a small aerospace jobshop from the time I was 10 until I was 26, I ran it for the last 4 years of business, So I know what it takes to do it. I dont think I should waste 20+ years in the business. ok enough ranting smile.gif

Zsolt67,

I would tend to agree with Rekd's first comment.

What is it that you like or enjoy most? - this might not even be related to computing or machining; this truly is your key for future happiness.

Whatever we choose as a career path, it is essential that we enjoy what we ae doing and that happiness comes well before the outrageous salarys that we all cherish so very much.

It's in our nature to want for the better things in life - it is not in our nature to despise going into work every day.

I guess it was when I walked in for two or three days in a row and said to myself - what am I doing in this hole? It was the initial approach as I walked in for the morning shift.

(Did or does anybody else relate to this daily journey?)

Personally my attraction to this trade was the initial complexity of the math coupled with my enjoyment of using my hands to make a precision workpiece. - the tougher the challenge the better experience or lesson learned; it's the challenge of what I do from day to day that very much satisfies my needs and goals - the excellent pay that I also recieve is merely a bonus for doing what I like to do anyways.

I am 47 years and I am very confident that this is the right profession for me; I believe it's called the Peter Principal that states that every person arrives at his own level of incompetancy and will go no further without risking total incompentancy.

I remain your totally incompetant "Jack" biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Best regards.

[ 04-08-2003, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

I see the market moving in a couple of different ways:

1. Company's with their own product line and in-house prototyping will pay for quality workers. Look for good jobs there.

2. Company's that are bidding on price alone, and who are not as concerned with quality, scrap, or delivery times, are going overseas and getting what they pay for.

3. High quality shops in the US with a skilled workforce and good management are finding their niche and have held up pretty good even during this recession. I think as the economy improves, they will have more work than they know what to do with.

So, it seems to me there is an opportunity here. If you are quality, seek a position in (1 or 3) or partner with some other like-minded and skilled people and open your own shop. If you work for (2), then you can't change them and you should look elsewhere.

Once again, Jack has hit it on the head...

Hey, here's a little quiz I like to use in gauging job & life satisfaction.

When you look at the clock during the day do you think:

1. "dam, it's only 2 o'clock..the days too long..."

or

2. "dam, it's 2 o'clock already ... the days too short..."

Currently being a partner in a small company, I am happy to say that I almost always answer "B"...working for a crummy bottom-line-driven corporation I've found people would invariably answer "A".

Also let it be known that I make less $$, and work way harder being self employed, but the happiness of working with MY hands for MYSELF is invaluable. There is an immediate correlation as to how hard, smart, and creative you are as to how well your business does...Charles, I can personally attest to the validity of your points, and am carving out my niche in 1 & 3.... wink.gif

Yes guys, I going to accept a position with a smaller company with their own product, a very successful product I may add. I feel I will be more appreciated and will fell more at home in a place like that. And yes he is will to pay well and give me god benefits. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...