Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3/4 plywood snapping bits?

Nils N

I just read the other thread on snapping bit and I'm going to pass that on but the problem is this. I stopped at a friends shop, they have a 5X10 panel router and use MC V9 for programing. He's cutting some 3/4 plywood with 1/4" bit and keeps snapping them. The panel is 4'x8' and he has 72 pieces on the panel to cut out. He's snapped them running these configurations-

1/4" 2 flute upcut spiral

A@ 100IPM

.33 Step down

.06 final cut

1/4" 2 flute carbide straight

A@ 80IPM

.33 Step down

.06 final cut

1/4" 2 flute upcut spiral

A@ 50IPM

.2 Step down

.06 final cut

Any ideas on why he'd be sanpping bits?

No coatings on the bits, and they're snapping at different times, beginning of cut middle of cut, I told him about checking the collects for dust and stuff, like the other thread. I'd think he should be able to run really fast more than 100IPM with 17,400 rpm He's had to slow it down and take more pass to make it work. just seems like he should be able to go faster then he is and less down steps than 3or 4 in 3/4 ply

He really ought to look at using 3/8" schrupp roughers for the roughing cut. They have a serrated edge that seems to do better in plywood applications. Then do a finish pass with a 1/4 smooth edge cutter.

We used these roughers for cutting 7/8" in one pass doing upholstery frames with a Shoda. Another thing is to use as small a cutting edge as possible and put as much up in the collet as you can to help with the tool deflection.

Take a look in the link below at the 60-900 | Three Edge Solid Carbide EXHD Hogger.

Onsrud Router Bits

I think Mike is on the right track here. Using a larger bit and speeding up the feed rate would probably work better. Are you using the 1/4" bit because you want to optimize the material better or is there a limitation in the Router? We cut 3/4 plywood all the time with 3/8 and 1/2 compression (up/down shear) cutters at 600ipm/18,000rpm full cut with one pass.