Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Flowline start point?

Sbarner

All,

Is there a way to set a start point for finish flowline toolpaths? I'm having a weird thing happen. If I have any positive value in my stock to leave on check surfaces, the tool starts in the middle of the surface and goes right across the part like this:

If I change the stock to leave to any negative value, the tool starts and ends perfectly where I want it:

I think I've gone through all the options I can, but can't find a way to change the start point. Or is there a better toolpath to do what I want? I'm simply stitching a .05 radius on the top of the part.

Thanks.

0 stock makes a good toolpath, but I get an error when I do it saying that I should adjust either drive or check stock to leave so that they're both not the same. It seems logical to me at that point that I would want to leave a positive amount in the check stock, but then I get that funky motion.

Try not to use checks with flow line. You do not need one for the part example you showed us. Zero stock on a check surface is definitely acceptable and I program quite a few of the other tool paths in this fashion. Go ahead and disable the warning as it's only valid for that session of Mastercam. The start point can be shifted to one of the four corners of the surfacing zone your cutting but you may not like the direction,  climb versus conventional, or starting at the bottom instead of the top. Funky motion? Try setting depth limits, -.0002 to start with, below the top of the first surface your cutting.  Also note that making that surface one piece will give you much cleaner results.