Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Z clearance at A axis rotation?

neurosis

Is there a way to get your Z clearance set to a specific Z height but "ONLY" during an a axis rotation?

Ive been playing with this for the last couple of days. Ive tried both using Clearance only at the start and end of an operation which sucks really because if you have several operations in that plane it still jumps to your rotation clearance height, I have also set up a safety zone, which I do not see any difference between the safety zone and the Use clearance only at the start and end of an operation method. It still clears at the start and end of every operation.

Short of trying to keep track of every operation and adding the clearance manually at the index, which could be dangerous of you do any program modification, have anyone else doing any modification, etc or just letting it clear at the start and end of every operation.

I am assuming that using reference points would work out the same? I would have to make sure that a reference point is set for the operation @ the index?

Is there an easier way to do this? Ive read through some older posts and didnt see a solution.

Im thinkin REF points is the way to go . I used to program horizontal machines and thats what I used before pallet rotation.

Is there a way to get your Z clearance set to a specific Z height but "ONLY" during an a axis rotation?

Ive been playing with this for the last couple of days. Ive tried both using Clearance only at the start and end of an operation which sucks really because if you have several operations in that plane it still jumps to your rotation clearance height, I have also set up a safety zone, which I do not see any difference between the safety zone and the Use clearance only at the start and end of an operation method. It still clears at the start and end of every operation.

Short of trying to keep track of every operation and adding the clearance manually at the index, which could be dangerous of you do any program modification, have anyone else doing any modification, etc or just letting it clear at the start and end of every operation.

I am assuming that using reference points would work out the same? I would have to make sure that a reference point is set for the operation @ the index?

Is there an easier way to do this? Ive read through some older posts and didnt see a solution.

The reference point is the best option from the sound of it, but I worry about parts that get modified and/or operations that end up getting switched around.

We are always working toward improvement on every job that we run so some times programs get modified allot depending on the complexity. Having to remember where these reference points are set can become a pain in the xxxx. I am looking for a way to add a generic clearance plane for our index that outputs only at the index rather than having to keep track of it in the operations. I thought that the safety zone was going to be the ticket but I can accomplish the same thing by setting my Clearance plane and ticking the Only at beginning and end of the operation box.

Of course I am just being lazy here! but I am looking for a fine line between efficiency and safety. We only have to miss one reference point to cause a crash.

Most other software that I have used has a "Z clearance at index" so this is easy. I was wondering if Mastercam had the same hidden somewhere that I was not aware of.

I thought about hard coding it in to the post but that could be a little dangerous as well.

The current part that we are machining has around 20 indexes and 60 operations. It is being finished in sections. Any time we move operations around , add or subtract them, etc, I worry about missing an index clearance so I end up spending quite a bit of time going through the path making sure that the clearance planes are set correctly. Its quite time consuming.

I use the MPmaster for a 3-axis Haas with a 4th-axis on the table and just have it set to send the z-axis home on rotations. That saves me from messing with safety zones, which i've never been able to get to work properly on an EC-400, and different clearance planes and reference points.

Are you trying to avoid this method to save time from sending it all the way home on rotations?

I force the retract with a manual entry between operations that need an A-axis move , so when you reopen the file several month lather , you will see the retract immediately instead of searching the reference point in every operation

but you are limited , if the same operation drill several point at different angle this method is useless

Know what you mean about programs getting messed with using ref points...VERY dangerous. In my op with the ref points I'll put in all caps and astriskist "************OP USES REF POINT**********" If you make it long enough it will stick out in your ops manager an make it easy to track down at least.

not much help but an idea at least

Ok, MpMaster post in conjunction with safety zone while using a drill cycle does not work! Lesson learned! <grin>

G00 G49 G40 G80 G90
G91 G28 Z0.
N1 T1 M06 (1.185  BORING BAR)
G00 G17 G90 G54 A90. X-5.1826 Y0. S805 M03
G43 H1 Z6. M08
G94
G99 G85 Z2.06 R2.96 F4.83
G80 
G55 A270. X-5.1826 Y0.
Z6.
G99 G85 Z2.06 R2.96 F4.83
G80 M09
G91 G28 Z0.
G28 Y0. A0.
G90
M30

It does not hit the safety zone height until "after" the rotation. That is some dangerous stuff if you are not paying attention.

I suppose that in order to get a clearance for rotation during drilling there is no choice other than to use a reference point if you do not want to use a G98 ?