Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Changing User Profiles from Computer to Computer

Mic6

Hey everybody, we're having an issue here in the shop that mgmt. wants everybody to have a laptop so when they program at different machines, they take the laptop with them so they have Mcam configured how they like it and it's more "efficient". Is there a way to have different people log into the same desktop workstation and bring up their MC profile (toolbars, mach def, etc) how they like it? I DO NOT want a laptop, so I'm trying to build a case here. TIA

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

There is an easy way. Each user has to create and save their settings to a unique config file name, for instance Jammer might save his as ILoveRedSweaterVests.config, and I have 3RoseBowlWinsInARow.config. Then, on each person's profile create a shortcut to the mastercam executable. Edit the target "C:\Program Files\mcamx5\Mastercam.exe ILoveRedSweaterVests.config" for Jammer's config.

I believe that's the change.. or somethin g close anyway. :D

HTH

There is an easy way. Each user has to create and save their settings to a unique config file name, Then, on each person's profile create a shortcut to the mastercam executable. Edit the target "C:\Program Files\mcamx5\Mastercam.exe ILoveRedSweaterVests.config" for Jammer's config.

I believe that's the change.. or somethin g close anyway. :D

HTH

:blink:Can you elaborate on that a little?

Good morning guys,

You guys are lucky!!!

our computers do not even have USB or CD ( they are all disabled). Bring in a laptop to work, they may call a cop on me :D :D

Well, this is how we did.

go to mastercam folder find CONFIG folder copy and re-name the mcamx.config to namexxxx_mcamx.config

Then open your mastercam and load that new config file, change all the toolbar the way you want it to, then save it.

Next time, when that person come back, you just need to recall the config file under his/her name and everything should be there.

Why?

ITAR requirements to prevent data theft

I worked at a place where the computers had

no internet, floppy drives, CD or DVD drives.

They took a snapshot of your screen several times an hour

at random intervals for review by IT security officers

All data was saved to a secure network that was

not connected to the internet. Saving data to your C drive

was cause for instant termination..

and yes.. all this was totally annal.. we were building

helicopter parts that had been around for 40 years. :rolleyes:

Because of the new folder structure in Mastercam X5 the config files are located in the individual users Documents folder. Whenever a different user is logged into Windows they automatically get their own config file now. In previous versions you had to create your own config file manually like the guys have been mentioning.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
...we were building helicopter parts that had been around for 40 years.

They got that way after a helicopter was downed behind enemy lines and a tag with the company name and logo, address, serial number, etc... were CLEARLY visible. They thought they may be targeted for IP theft (guessing).

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Nobody said IT folks were the sharpest knives in the drawer. :D

My brother in-law is an IT guy... I'll just say that if he is any indication of the guys doing IT... :shakhead: I'll leave it at that. :D

Well, this is how we did.

go to mastercam folder find CONFIG folder copy and re-name the mcamx.config to namexxxx_mcamx.config

Then open your mastercam and load that new config file, change all the toolbar the way you want it to, then save it.

Next time, when that person come back, you just need to recall the config file under his/her name and everything should be there.

I found, copied, and renamed the config folder.

How/where do I load a new .CONFIG file?