Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X5 Port Expert

Steve Hattori

John, I was hoping to get some feedback from somebody who has used it. I have asked for a trial, we'll see what they say... I have the price, and it better be good for the extra money- I want to see if is significantly better than the "stock" port routine. If it is, that just means you have to spend extra money to get functionality that should have been in Mcam in the first place... like Volumill or Cimco (ducking behind flame-proof wall)........

• Like 1
From anything I've seen with it, for high performance port finishes it will be much better, otherwise the added price wouldn't be justified

Is that how it will work now?

Jeeez, we found a way to make our software work correctly now. Lets rape the cusomers for it

• Like 1

Is that how it will work now?

Jeeez, we found a way to make our software work correctly now. Lets rape the cusomers for it

should moldsplus be free because it adds significant functionality?

Things in Mastercam should be improved with time, and maintenance should cover that yes. Port Expert isn't a 'fix' its a leap ahead in functionality, and for all intents and purposes is more of an advanced add-on than a general improvement.

I know where you're coming from - I think you'll see more when it's released

The point is, for me anyway, this leap should be PART of Mastercam, not something we always have to pay extra for. Mastercam is supposed to be a complete system, not a shell to run software that actually works, inside of, for extra money... Mold plus does things Mcam doesn't even think about- it doesn't just improve how Mcam works- it does things Mcam has no solution for. Mcam HAS port software- is it the kindergarten version and "port expert" is the grad school version?

I guess I am just sore because I paid a lot for Mcam, and I paid a lot of maintenence over the years, plus, I paid a lot for "add-ons" and their own maintenance just to get mcam to work effectively- for me... Now, I find I am supposed to pay AGAIN for an effective solution to port programming, and add another maint. charge every year? Even though I paid for for port routine thats already there....

Pardon me for my PAY button being wore out, and not being OK with it.........

Tyler, are you saying this is NOT a released product yet? Its in my PC download version....

• Like 1
Tyler, how does it differ from the one that comes in Mcam?

Its an expert add-on from ModuleWorks.. the people who build the advanced 5X toolpaths

It has added functionality and is supposed to drastically lower programming time.

Only you can decide if it's worth the purchase price.

If it is, that just means you have to spend extra money to get functionality that should have been in Mcam in the first place...

It's kind of like saying the current toolpaths are crap.. Or me telling my boss, "I will work better and harder when you give me more money". :angry::angry::angry:

• Like 1

The point is, for me anyway, this leap should be PART of Mastercam, not something we always have to pay extra for. Mastercam is supposed to be a complete system, not a shell to run software that actually works, inside of, for extra money... Mold plus does things Mcam doesn't even think about- it doesn't just improve how Mcam works- it does things Mcam has no solution for. Mcam HAS port software- is it the kindergarten version and "port expert" is the grad school version?

I guess I am just sore because I paid a lot for Mcam, and I paid a lot of maintenence over the years, plus, I paid a lot for "add-ons" and their own maintenance just to get mcam to work effectively- for me... Now, I find I am supposed to pay AGAIN for an effective solution to port programming, and add another maint. charge every year? Even though I paid for for port routine thats already there....

Pardon me for my PAY button being wore out, and not being OK with it.........

Tyler, are you saying this is NOT a released product yet? Its in my PC download version....

Sorry, yes it's released. Blade Expert is not yet, or, wasn't when Port expert was, I keep confusing the two.

are the two port solutions that are in Mastercam already not an effective solution to port programming? If they are, then you can use those right?

You're not supposed to pay for anything above what you already are - you can pay for it if you want it, just like Mastercam has three levels. If you don't want additional porting routines, then don't buy it. Base model or fully loaded.

Port expert may do things that Mastercam has no solution for.

Lets say Mastercam didn't make it available for purchase,.. but you could purchase it in Gibbs, Surfcam etc.. we'ed be hearing up and down about how it was awful Mastercam users aren't able to purchase it.

OK, so, money arguments aside, my original question was regarding what does it do that is different, or better than the "stock" routine....Has anyone used it?

I am trying to get a demo, so I may be able to answer my own question at some point.

Tyler, as for the "Blade Expert", if it works anything like Hypermill's blade routines, THAT would be a huge step up..

OK, so, money arguments aside, my original question was regarding what does it do that is different, or better than the "stock" routine....Has anyone used it?

I am trying to get a demo, so I may be able to answer my own question at some point.

Tyler, as for the "Blade Expert", if it works anything like Hypermill's blade routines, THAT would be a huge step up..

I don't know about the hypermill blade routines , but the blade expert paths look excellent - complicated blades, programming time, air moves and surface finish flowlines are all managed exceptionally

In light of recent events I am surprised that anyone would even consider a 3rd party addon for Mastercam.

It's 3rd party written but it IS integrated within Mastercam, thus it is part of Mastercam.

To answer your question, I don't believe a single tool path in Mastercam has ever been removed.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

on a side note:

I need to take my own advice too

To answer your question, I don't believe a single tool path in Mastercam has ever been removed.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

They took 5X toolpaths from level 3 Mastercam (was included in V9). To me that was big! :angry::angry: paying maint is for getting improvements, right? Oh I see that is to big of an emprovement for us loyal maint customers. I have paid many thousands of dollars over the years (way more than the full seat of MC originally cost me) and for what, a small amount gingerbread stuff and highspeed toolpaths. Nothing at all for lathe!!!!!!

They took 5X toolpaths from level 3 Mastercam (was included in V9).

if you owned V9 mill level 3, multiaxis was grandfathered in at no charge.

The only requirement was to pay maintenance on the multiaxis module.

If you owned V9 level 3 and don't have multiaxis now, its because you

decided not to pay multiaxis maintenance.

We've received alot for our multiaxis maintenance $$$. The toolpaths in X5 multiaxis are light years ahead of what was available in V9.

Personally, I'd rather see the specialized high end experts be stand alone addons.

They aren't cheap.. and if they were included in a standard multiaxis license, we'd all be paying a lot

more.

Not one user in a thousand needs a high end port expert. Let that one user pay for it.. not the 999 users who don't need or use it.

That is the same reason they broke Multiaxis out of Level 3.. let the people who need it, pay for..

not the Level 3 mold guy with no 5X machines.

• Like 2