Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rest Rough help

Thee Rickster ™

I am trying to rest rough from a 1/2 ball to a 1/8 ball. I am only rest roughing bout 3/4"

deep and will finish those areas down to 1/16" ball.

Then My strategy is to finish the deeper area of the cavity with a longer 1/4 ball.

As you can see the rest rough is not roughing and is cutting area like a waterline cut which I

really dont need in this path, I will waterline finish after the rest rough path.

Does any one know how to make the path work properly

Seems like it cuts slightly better, but not right, if I don't leave stock on the path??

post-15668-0-02876900-1300122350_thumb.png

I believe you will find better results if you change a few things. Lets say you left .005" stock on the first toolpath. You can try leaving .006" with the follow-up toolpath. You can also use the feature " ignore small cusps " and set a value of say .010

I had a similar issue myself today and this was the approach I tried and ended up getting the desired result. By the way, are you sure you are using "rest machining" rather than "waterline with rest passes". There is a huge difference between the two. The first one is a roughing toolpath, the second is a finishing toolpath.

Carmen

I forgot to mention I am using X4 MU3.

I got it to actually rough but it still does the useless waterline along with it.

I got it to rough by accident, I didn't actually change a thing on the original path.....as follows

I roughed the cavity with a 3/4 ball then used a 1/2 ball waterline to semifinish.

I went into the parameters in the path in question and picked 'use one previous tool', and

picked the 1/2" ball.....well it fixed the lack of roughing but did the whole cavity....lol

Thin i picked the 3/4 ball which roughed the cavity and it was better but no good. enuf

So then I just clicked off the previous tool and let it reprocess the original path settings again

and 1/2 the problem was solved. It did the roughing I wanted but still waterline the walls.

So other then 20minutes of it cutting air (by waterline type), at least the path roughs...so I left it at that....

I've tried those ideas and nothing helps.

These paths need fixing always have, just hoping someone figured out a workaround buy now

I will open it in X5 when I have time and reprocess it and see if X5 has fixed these troublesome

paths

Keep ya posted tomorrow

Thanks

Rick

Carmen,

I am well aware of the difference and as a mold maker you know how critical

we need these paths to work properly. The waterline rest I used for my 1/16 ball prior to

pencil worked fine, but as you can see I have been blessed with a rather simple heatsink

for MC to process.

Here is another annoying issue that happen every time I go to attach a file

here in emastercam. It also happens at random/occasionally from various other commands, like

starting a new tool path, merging data, hitting verify.....at different times here and there

I just cancel it but its annoying.

It started since I got my new p.c. with win 7

wierd_2.jpg

maybe i should let it run...but the software is open and I would have to save and shutdown first...one would think???

Rick

I'm sure if you emailed me the file, I could make it give you what you are looking for. I think based on your description of tools, I would have chosen the option " all previous operations" and "Toolpath group only". I agree that these toolpaths need some refinement, but sometimes you have to think like Mastercam. If you choose "previous tool" and that tool has not roughed out the pocketed area, then Mastercam thinks there is still stock there. This is where the "roughing tool" comes into play. The other option is to use an STL file. Many ways to skin the cat, but it can be frustrating at times. If you need a hand, just send me the file.

Carmen

Carmin,

I have worse problems now.

Now i cant get the ribs to do a waterline rest.

Forget about the other path.

This is gonna kill me, what should be a 2 hour path is gonna be a 12 hr path.

These paths don't always screw up, only when i have no time for them too...lol

Would you be able to so a go to meeting tomorrow?

Cheers

Rick

Odd, I use a boundary that does the all the ribs and the path is basically a waterline.

I use 2 boundary's that only do the end 1/2" of either side of the rib and it work properly.

I then create a new bnd that does the in between portion for those 2 bnd's to do the rest of the ribs(.05 overlap)

and that worked properly too......?

It wont work if I use a bnd to rest the entire length of all the ribs?!?.... well I only lost 3 hrs programming

time on that one and a few hours sleep...lol