Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Piracy Solutions

Alias

If we really want to do something about piracy, start contacting congressmen and let them know we are sick and tired of work from N.America being sent overseas for "cheaper" production costs. Shipped overseas, btw, to a place where you can buy MC for $10 because our copyright laws mean doodle outside our borders.

And if encrpytion of posts is the answer, just remember...they crack what they need. If they need a post, they'll crack it.

But, hey, what do congressmen care. I want a job where I can set my own wages and retirement and benefit packages....as long as I get rich, why should I care about anyone else. Or future generations...right?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Let's see now,... Write software for 75% of the desktop computer world, or 15% of the desktop computer world.... Hard decision. NOT!

Actually James, your wrong on your statistics. there was an article on www.osnews.com, that stated Microsoft held 90% of the desktop market, while Apple held only 1% biggrin.gif . The remaining percentages are held by linux and other variants of operating systems.

[ 05-26-2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Mackius ]

After reading everyones response so far I thought I would give a current students perspective.

First off I just ended up buying the apprentice program. Out of 35 people that are in the my class I am the only one that actually went and bought the package. Simply because most of them don't even want to spend the extra time to learn the software, they simply make myself or the teacher show them some tips and what not. However I know a couple people that downloaded the pirated version from Kazaa. The surprising thing none of them ever heard of the program and it was another teacher that told them about Kazaa.

As far as piracy goes no matter what a company does to prevent it there is another individual that will find a way around it. I think have to be hooked to the internet is a aweful suggestion. It is the same as saying as to buy Mastercam you have to pay $15,000 plus a additional $10-$50 a month to have it. Now when I graduate I would love to start my own little company, I would see no problem spending the 15 grand but that extra fees wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

There is something that needs to be done to get rid of piracy it is something everyone agrees on. There are only two solutions that I can agree on.

1.)Son the same thing the Creators of 3d pakages are doing. Build a MasterCam lite where you can download free to use although you cannot toolpath or post process. I guess you can say give MasterCam Design for free.

2.)Build a Drive system. Somewhat like a hard drive except put all the software on chips. This would probably cost some extra money to build but in the long run I say it would be a more logical way of keeping software iun pirateable.