Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Piracy Solutions

Alias

If every computer that ran Mastercam was online to the internet, when starting Mastercam your system would contact www.mastercam.comlogin, an access code would be provided and away you go.

Buh-bye pirates.

Of course that would require a lot of internet hookups.

How many of you guys/gals out there have direct access to the web from your Mastercam computers?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not gonna happen.

I live/work in the boonies. We're one of the last places around here waiting for cable internet. Everyone in a several mile radius on all sides have it. Not us. mad.gif So, currently our internet connection are flaky at best.

I can just see the fun when the 'super important' job of the week is interrupted because the stoooopid internet connection won't connect.

In some shops being down for even an hour at the wrong time could cost thousands if not millions of dollars.

I wouldn't want to be the tech support guy the first time the login server blows a fuss. 70,000 irate customers demanding their MC to work. eek.gif

Bryan smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

I wouldn't want to be the tech support guy the first time the login server blows a fuss. 70,000 irate customers demanding their MC to work

Obviously redundant servers would be in place for just such an emergency. I think it could be feasable. Most folks do not know this but Microsoft is already doing this with several of their software offerings. If people only read the EULA's... eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

I am currently involved in dealings with several pirate shop users, and have had a fairly good success rate in converting them to legitimate users. One primary deterrent would be the encryption of posts, and not including them on the install CDs. Also, keep in mind that contrary to popular belief, police do take software piracy seriously, and the onus is on the victims to file complaints. Sitting around and whining about it does nothing.

Any reseller who wants to discuss strategies in dealing with pirates, feel free to write me at [email protected]

Believe me,I am not trying to be a smart a$$.

quote:

I am currently involved in dealings with several pirate shop users, and have had a fairly good success rate in converting them to legitimate users.

You go on to say :

quote:

Also, keep in mind that contrary to popular belief, police do take software piracy seriously,

If this is so,then I am sure that the police who take it soo seriously,have already locked up the pirates that you have "converted"?

I truly do not believe that the authorities do anything about it.

I never read about Joe Schmo's machine shop getting "busted" for illegal software.

If I am wrong,I would be interested in reading any links anyone could provide. wink.gif

Awwwwww Mannnn ... Im gonna probably put my foot in my mouth ... but I cant believe what I just read. eek.gif

Im just gonna say whats on my mind here and somone can try to reason me into understanding how wrong I am.

quote:

I am currently involved in dealings with several pirate shop users

mad.gif

quote:

One primary deterrent would be the encryption of posts

mad.gif er

Isnt the current locking system is a form of encryption. Arent the crackers get by that. So you encrypt the post and the legit users now can't do their own tweaks, but bet your @$$ the crakers will get around that too. So then only the pirates will be able to make post edits ???? The legit users buy encrypted posts confused.gifconfused.gif

Seems to me it'd be a lot easier for you to simply turn in the pirates. That would be a deterent. Maybe some kind of amnesty is understandable for someone looking to go straight, but this all sounds a little twisted and with all due respect, coming from a reputable partner such as you.

Dave

teh dis-enchanted awaiting a smack in the head to make his thinking "straight"

Edited for political correctness.

[ 05-13-2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

Please don't get me started on piracy!!! mad.gifmad.gif

Crakers/Hackers will *ALWAYS* find a way.

If you want a sample of whats out there:

www.nforce.nl click on PC Apps ISOs

Every CadCam system on the planet has been hacked,

usually before the actual release date! mad.gif

Give the pirate shops 1 warning (say 1 week)

Then contact the BSA.

They either go straight or go under! mad.gifmad.gif

Kevin,

You are, of course correct in that there's absolutely no way to stop it. If you come up with a better way to secure something, they'll come up with 3 ways to defeat it.

That's just the way it is.

I do not agree, however, with you posting links to appearent warez sites. (I haven't looked, so I'm just guessing) If you want to expose it, you should report it to BSA or some other authority, not on a public forum.

Just a thought smile.gif

'Rekd teh There IS no better mouse-trap

Dave

I understand your dislike for pirates, but you shouldn't be surprised that resellers deal with pirates every day; what're they gonna do? Rat out their own customers? That'd be good for business.

C

[ 05-14-2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

What I meant by "dealing with pirates" is that I run into shops every week that run pirated MC. Instead of turning around and throwing my hands up in the air, I have a few strategies to deal with them and have had decent success. I would be happy to discuss these strategies with other resellers if they are interested.

Hackers don't know posts, won't know the difference between Fanuc 18M and 6M, Heidenhain conversational or ISO. They hack software, and as soon as it is done, they are proud of themselves and move to the next project.

Many of the options in Mastercam that require additional codes do NOT work in hacked software, since the hacker does not realize they are there. A hacker is generally not a machinist and has no need or use for a post. I believe that by making posts much more difficult to obtain, we can at least cut down on the number of pirate copies of Mastercam used in shops. Another strategy is to give away MC Demo CDs at schools that teach Mastercam. The origin of most pirated software in machine shops is the local trade school. If students can obtain a demo version of MC (again, they don't need a fully functioning post), there will be less demand for hacked MC.

I think most of us would agree that a company that uses MasterCam , hacked or not IS on the internet at some point. Some games, like Halflife have had a huge success blocking WON ID's from functioning on the net. I think theresite is www.unitedadmins.com. Then maybe when they DO log on , join the cable companies and send an "electronic bullett" or "company inspired virus" that does disable software that is not in a registared data base. I dont think this would stop it, maybe just agravate the "on the fencers" to go ahead and bring out the checkbook. If software could be 100% protected don't ya think Bill Gates woulld have MS locked down by now? Just my 2cents.

Oh and Peter If I were a betting man (and I am) lol. I would say that probably most Hacked software originates from Student copies, demos etc. Maybe giving them a demo is a bad Idea. Like letting the wolf watch the sheep wink.gif

[ 05-14-2003, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: d00d ]

I have taught at several colleges in the past few years, and have found that MC is handed out like candy between students. Many of these students are either not yet in the trade or unemployed, and most of them have noly a basic understanding of MC/G-code/Machining. They want something to practice with at home, so that they become proficient and hopefully add value to their resumes.

I handed out some Demo Mastercam CDs recently at a college and they were snapped up. Most students do not need the ability to post, and this function need not be included on the CD. Being able to save files for 6 months would be very nice, though, and lessen the demand for hacked software.

I have come to know many (former) pirate users in the past year, and have even become friends with a few of them. With the right apporach, many of them can be converted. By using a pro-active approach in schools, much of it can also be prevented in the future. I believe the key lies in access:

1.) Allowing easier access to MC Demo CDs to students at schools, trade shows, etc. At $5 or $10 a pop, people will jump at it.

2.) Making access to good working posts more difficult in the future. It is too late for V9, but this is something to perhaps consider for V10.

d00d, the 2fortsniper map, or 2fort as snipers ??

And do you do any speed sniping?

'Rekd teh Destroyer

p.s., I wonder if we've played b4.. Aliases?? (FukNRekd, SixNine, NewerName) How bout clans? (-E}{C-, Rabid, KuQ, SMP, FMJ and of course +SUF)

Rekd I was a TFC sniper junkie for a long time and just started back about 4 days ago(fell of the wagon).Aliases Include KuDjO , MentalFloss , Longspoon , Lobo,

Clans Include AK47 (reg TFC) Sniping clans include DOT DOG OSQ. Was ranked 3rd in the world in 1vs1 sniper tourny about 3 years ago. (300 entries) then tuned into an open ladder ladder deal with over a hundred matches per week in the whole top 20(5 or 6 per week) for me. and never lost my rank. Love speed sniping. But in 1vs1 like to be sneaky. But can get out and hop around to win if I need to biggrin.gif

quote:

Maybe giving them a demo is a bad Idea. Like letting the wolf watch the sheep

When I went to school earlier this year, after 2 weeks of training, our dealer gave me a copy of the demo. Since I am the only one that uses mastercam at work, I have the ability to take our hasp home anytime I want, but do not like the responsibilty of having it. (I saw the the bill for the upgrade, schooling, etc.) The demo, schooling and this forum have been the best learning tools I have been able to get. When I went to school for our controllers 13 years ago, I could ask anyone here if I had a question. With MC, I am on my own. My opinion, keep the demos.

Greg