Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X5 surface analysis

kens1

I was glad to see that X5 has a surface analysis function that analyzes draft angles and undercuts. Then I found out that it's dependant on the surfaces normals. If your surface normals aren't consistent, this function is useless. I can check angles quicker individually. I had requested a function a couple of years ago that would set all the normals to one side, but nothing ever happened there. Until they get something like that, the angle analysis is worthless.

Curvature seems to work OK, though.:)

Edit- Set Normal - then select all??

All this does (unless I'm missing something) is reverse all the normals. If you have hundreds of surfaces and half of them point the wrong way, you still end up with half pointing the wrong way.

As far as buying Moldplus goes, why should I have to buy an add-on to make a MC feature functional? If MC adds a feature, I should be able to use it as is without buying something else to complete the job it was intended for. Or do most people get files with the normals all pointing in one direction? In which case, I'm in the minority.

All this does (unless I'm missing something) is reverse all the normals. If you have hundreds of surfaces and half of them point the wrong way, you still end up with half pointing the wrong way.

As far as buying Moldplus goes, why should I have to buy an add-on to make a MC feature functional? If MC adds a feature, I should be able to use it as is without buying something else to complete the job it was intended for. Or do most people get files with the normals all pointing in one direction? In which case, I'm in the minority.

unless i'm mistaken it turns them normal toward whatever veiw you're in? Am I right guys?

All this does (unless I'm missing something) is reverse all the normals.

Not an expert on this but, pretty sure -edit - set normal.....will SET all of the selected surface normals to a common direction depending on what Cplane your in.

-Edit- CHANGE normal... will simply flip the normals.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mastercam surface normal setting feature functions well for what it is designed for. It allows you to select all surfaces and set the normals relative to the current Cplane direction.

The ability to set all surface normals independent of plane direction is one of many tools that Moldplus software offers. For the world of 5-axis machining as well as to write/export correct STL files with all faces pointing in the outward direction, this tool comes in handy.

If you have to to set normals on lots of surfaces regularly, the solution is available today from us and should be worth your time and money. You can purchase the Moldplus 5-axis Toolkit alone. Check out our web site and videos related to the toolkit on that page. You can also try out our software if you prefer.Moldplus 5-axis Toolkit

The different software levels we offer allow you to invest in just the right solution/s needed for you. You can upgrade at a later stage if you want more tools.

Moldplus software has been offering advanced surface design, modeling, manipulation and repair solutions for Mastercam users for more than 16 years. Such tools and solutions are developed based on user requests and feedback and continue in the same manner.

Regards

Anbu