Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The impossible! Machining with 1/32 endmill

TeccBoxx

Thats to bad about the Haas spindles, I have had my Haas since november of 99 and have had not one problem with it. It runs about 16 hours a day between 12000 and 15000 rpm..Now are Bridgeport vmc's thats a whole different story.

I am using a 10 yr. old Nikken 5X1 speeder, that is purely a gear drive (no air) and it is nice because I am using it on a Haas that, like so many before have stated, has the spindles that can go south when cranked all day. I picked up mine from an auction for $275.00 (you may try Ebay confused.gif ) and there are some limitations to it. 1) you have to lube it daily if not more often and 2)it has a maximum of about 25,000 RPM. If you can get one like this and indicate the tool concentric, you sould have pretty good success cool.gif . I'm using it for milling a slot on Nitronic 50 with a 1mm endmill, .035" depth in 3 passes at 11,000 (2200 RPM spindle speed) at .002 IPM. Regardless of spindle speed, tool runout is a paramount; if your tool runs within .0004 or less, the better off you will be. HTH cheers.gif

I found out pretty quickly that running the 7500 RPM spindle in my FADAL at anything above 7000 RPM got the spindle smoking hot after just a few minutes. frown.gif Running it at 6800 RPM or less keeps it barely warm even when running it 24/7 (less than 15 degrees F warmer than the starting temp). smile.gif There are no provisions for cooling this spindle. We have similar problems with a 10K spindle that is cooled. Running it at above 14K RPM overwhelms the cooling in short order.

I wanted to relate that I rebuilt a spindle (Shizouka mill) that got stuck and started to score in the machine head casting, from overheating (200 degrees, 5000 rpm top). It had a simple double row bearing at the top end, not even what you would call a precision bearing. I was able to redesign it a little and I put two pairs of ceramic ball hybrid bearings in it top and bottom. What a difference. They run at about 115 degrees F, and this is with a tiny air nozzle trained on the spindle when running for extended periods.