Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rest Roughing cuts 'like' waterline

Here is an example of a high speed, rest rough path issue that is consistent,

The water line rest woks as it is intended, but sometimes I need the rough to avoid

lengthy Cnc times

RESTROUGH-1.jpg

Its starts with 5 cuts in a corner area properly then starts waterline cutting for the rest of

the path.

Does any body no how to tweak this?

I can share the file with CNC if they indeed can offer assistance.

Much appreciated

Cheers

Rick

I guess maybe I'm not understanding your problem, so discard this if I'm wrong.

If what you're trying to do is ONLY rest-rough the corner, shouldn't your containment boundary capture only that corner? I know it's a PITA to draw several containment boundaries but that's what I do and it works for me.

HTH, if I'm not misunderstanding what you are asking.

David, thanks for the reply.

Here is what I do generally do from your Questions.

1 - select the geometry

2. - Use remaining stock as computed

2a. - If I tell it to ignore cusps and put say .02(or what ever I have tried all kinds of values)

it has a weird missing cuts syndrome( and still cut 65 % like waterline) so I sont trust it on

a lights out component cut

3. - not necessarily (except same stock to leave)

I use roughing tool usually - dia. .75 corner rad .375

Tool for path is a .500 ball.

3a. When I use all previous tools I get an undesirable(missed cut areas) path also

still with alot of waterline cuts.

I now generally will just use the waterline rest path and if I need extra roughing I try to find all of those

areas and use containment bnds and create extra roughing paths.

All the above are too time consuming for how quickly I need the software to put out paths

to cut molds without regenning over and over again just to use less efficient alternating pathing.

Keep the ideas coming

To Me it is a buggy path, if I pick 'roughing tool" one would think that is the easiest for mastercam

to compute, but it does not appear that simple.

Thoughts, concerns, help....go to meeting....??

Rick

default.

It does not matter what I verify with my molds if I takes 20 mins plus.

Usually hours.

But like i said I have only tried the stl method while back when someone had suggested it,

with undesirable results.

Why is verify integral to creating a path?

I told it that 3/4 ball was the rougher and I am using 1/2 ball as the next cutter??

Pretty simple math in my books...lol

Not sure of the calculations involved, but using the STL seems to be faster...at least for me.

Do you add stock to your tool diameter to account for Stock To Leave?

Example: .750 Ball and .025 Stock to leave would yield a .800 Dia roughing tool in Rest Rough .750+(.025*2)=.800

I find that by doing this you'll be less inclined to be surprised when a small tool goes into a rib or other small area that isn't completely roughed out by the previous tool. (No need to do this when using STL)

Yes I do exactly that, but because I am forced to use waterline rest, because it works as it should without the .stl, I don't have an issue

with that scenario or type of gouge. (getting good at seeing the areas to manually rough with containments)

I have exhausted my time with this mold to retry the .stl method.

i will get back to you if and when I get anything to work.

If the rest rough did not waterline, also, there would be no issues.

Thanks

Rick

I've been able to remove most of the waterline cuts in my latest program by checking, "Adjust Remaining Stock to Remove Small Cusps" and setting the Adjustment distance to .030" like someone suggested earlier in this post. It didn't stop all of the unnecessary cuts though.

Please post any results of the changes that get made. I am very interested in this subject.