Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc Ethernet 16i

trying to hook up the ethernet on our fanuc 16i

i can ping my host computer but cant see it on the network

do i have to share the machine or something or do i need filezilla or some sort of software here to see it

we are updating our predator DNC here and our IT dept says they dont know what to do on the ethernet side

any help or ideas would be very helpful at this point

TIA

So I gather that you're wanting to pull the file from the control?

Yes you will need FPT software. I've not used Filezilla but it should work.

I'm quite sure you will have to register your machine on the dnc puter. (right -click My Computer, Manage, Local Users and Groups, double-click Users, Right-click an empty spot in the window, New User...)

Make User Name and Full Name the Machine name. description is optional. Add Password (use capital letters for machine convenience ), uncheck the User must change Password box, and check User Cannot change password and password never expires boxes. Press Create.

Edit: After the User is created right-click the user, Properties, "Member of" tab, add "Users" to the window and remove the other members listed. I have never used the "profiles" tab.

You will also have to setup the "home" page and FTP page on your machine.

I'm at home right now and won't be back til Tuesday now so I can't look at the manuals but if you have them I seem to remember they were a bit cumbersome but manageable.

We have IP addresses on our machines but I think our FTP software looks for the machine name. I don't remember using an IP when we setup the FTP software on our server.

You will use channel 9.

This should get you started. Maybe someone else can chime in on the other stuff.

thanks Tim

yes we want to pull files to and from the machines hard drive (for larger programs)

i will give this a try and see if i can "see" the machine on the network

we need to see the machine so predator can do its thing to move the files where they are needed

so i take it that my M198 PXXXX call will be channel 9 not 4 or 5 to drip feed from hard drive then?

yes the manuals are a bit confusing but when it gets a bit tricky its says see your IT dept

all i need to do is "see" the machine and i should be good to go

thanks again for the info

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Do you have a data server?

yes its our dnc puter

No, a Dataserver is a piece of hardware in the CNC consisting of a Fast Ethernet Board and Memory storage.

Your IT guys WILL NOT see your CNC's on the Network. They They will be able to ping them but they will not show up as a device on the network. You'll need to use FTP software to communicate and for goodness sakes DO NOT let IT tell you to use MS Explorer to transfer part programs to the machine. I use FileZilla. It's easy and free.

HTH

No, a Dataserver is a piece of hardware in the CNC consisting of a Fast Ethernet Board and Memory storage.Your IT guys WILL NOT see your CNC's on the Network. They They will be able to ping them but they will not show up as a device on the network. You'll need to use FTP software to communicate and for goodness sakes DO NOT let IT tell you to use MS Explorer to transfer part programs to the machine. I use FileZilla. It's easy and free. HTH

yes we have the ethernet boards in the machines and data storage

so if they wont show up on the network how will predator ever see them then?

sorry for all the dumb questions here this is uncharted territory for me

thanks for the info cnc apps guy1

Now I'm confused. When you wrote "yes its our dnc puter" I assumed that to mean you didn't have the Fanuc Dataserver.

The Fanuc Ethernet board and Fanuc Dataserver are two separate entities. If you do have the Fanuc Dataserver you should have two ethernet ports in your control with the Dataserver port not easily seen. Channel 5 is the Dataserver and channel 9 is the Ethernet board.

With the ethernet use the machine needs permission to read (we don't allow write) from the pc/server. With the Fanuc Dataserver the pc needs the permission to read/write to the machine.

yes we have the ethernet boards in the machines and data storage

so if they wont show up on the network how will predator ever see them then?

There is a separate Fast Ethernet Board manual that you may or may not have. It doesn't come with the Dataserver purchase. :angry:

You won't need to set-up the computer to use the Dataserver. You will have to setup Filezilla. That should be very simple.

You still have to set-up the machine "home" page and another page that I don't remember the name (page 5?). Some of our machines needed the FTP page set up and others didn't. I can't explain why.

ok so these are 2 separate things here

i will have to do some research inside the machines and see whats going on

so if i turn on channel 5 and it tells me "data out of range" then no data server

it will let me change to channel 9 so i have a ethernet board?

hope this makes sense

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

There is a separate Fast Ethernet Board manual that you may or may not have. It doesn't come with the Dataserver purchase. :angry:

That's odd... It's come with the ones I've seen. :headscratch: ... at least the field installed Dataservers.

I just dropped the 30 Series Control Manual on the FTP in the Unspecified Uploads folder.

The 16 and 30 are pretty close.

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

ok so these are 2 separate things here

i will have to do some research inside the machines and see whats going on

so if i turn on channel 5 and it tells me "data out of range" then no data server

it will let me change to channel 9 so i have a ethernet board?

hope this makes sense

1) Data out of range... that could be a problem. It could be that either a)you don't have a Dataserver or B) if you do, it was installed incorrectly.

a) - go System, press the right arrow softkey (below the screen) about 6x. You're looking for something that's NOT Embed Eth, but that says ethernet. It will be in the right half softkey group. I don;t have one right in front of me so I don't know exactly. :D If you don't see the Ethernet, then you don;t have a Dataserver and you're trying to use the Embedded Ethernet.

B) Call FANUC and have them come back in and test it.

2)Just about every FANUC control made the last 15-20 years has an embedded ethernet connection.

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Not necessarrily. Software like Refresh Your Memory and Predator use the Ethernet/FOCAS interface through the embedded port, but they usually set that up upon installation. Shawn Dunne is THE Predator install guy around and Rich @ RYM is THE guy too . It probably costs more to have them set it up, but it's worth the cost.

thanks once again cnc apps guy1

i thought when predator came in to upgrade our dnc that they would know how to set this all up

turns out they dont and are looking into how to set it up

im just trying to keep the project moving ;)

i can see our 2 kitamuras using filezilla now B)

now on to the makinos

i know 1 for sure does not have a data server (from your book cnc apps)but has fast ethernet (getting quote for the data server board)

the pro5 should have it i hope.....

and the saga continues

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Tell the Predator guy to call Shawn Dunne at Shop Floor Automation. He may be able to help them, or he may tell them to pound sand, anyway, he may be able to talk them through getting it setup.

Glad to be of help.

We have this for a Mitsubishi (not fanuc) ba24 (all his cncs are successfully running on a wired router). There's network connection definitely, the network is connected from another building. I'm sort of confused on the 'filezilla' thing :unsure:. I'll work on this. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question on this topic. I use the ftp to transfer files from the network to the machine hard drive. But I cannot seems to remove the files from the hard drive. Is this by design or do I need to find a parameter to change to allow this to hapen. I would also like the operator to be able to access and open the hard drive files (from a pc) in an editor and be able to make changes and save the changes. I was told this is possible but am not able to do it. Thanks for any help.

to delete a file

once in the HD use the right arrow soft key and look for FDEL which is file delete type in file number hit FDEL > EXCU file is gone

you can use filezilla (free) to access the files on the machines

or you can PUT the file back and open in cimco or something to make changes and just re GET it

HTH