Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Virus Development courses...

Rekd™

quote:

This fall, the Canadian school is offering a class for fourth-year students titled "Computer Viruses and Malware," in which students will write and test their own viruses. The move has touched off a wave of criticism within the antivirus community.

Got this from MSN today.. just curious what you all think are the pros (i see one) and cons (i see many) of a course like this.

'Rekd teh Safe Cracking 101

Wow thats an interesting question. I suppose you could argue that this will enable the fine students to better understand how to make applications and implementations that might be less suceptible to virus attacks ... or on the other hand they could learn to leave nice back doors for their future virus creations. Guess it all comes down to how much you trust Beer guzzlin, toga wearin', pimply programmers eh'.

In the spirit of the Patriot act can we put all of the students on a list and check them out, trace their internet activity every time a new virus is unleashed ? You know ... to protect our freedom of course.

Uh oh ... my conspiracy theorist alter ego is kicking in .... Those ANTIVIRUS COMMUNITIES consist of a bunch of hacks who spend half their time writing virus protection software and the other half writing viruses. They just dont want the market to be flooded with fresh young grads who might cut in on their turf.

Seriously, how liable is the institution willing to be held when one of their students lets some virus go and it becomes known where it originated and company X decides to sue the institution ?

Dave teh "Applications of mass destruction"

[ 05-29-2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

quote:

Guess it all comes down to how much you trust Beer guzzlin, toga wearin', pimply programmers eh'

You forgot the "Canadian Bacon Eatin'" from Rek'd's quote. Its winter here half the year, you need something to keep you going. In order to get a good mark you have to hack into the school computer. The final Exam is crashing the interpol computer the fastest and adding the most amount of money to your own bank account.

quote:

In order to get a good mark you have to hack into the school computer.

This was an assignment of ours in university, believe it or not.

I think a class like "Computer Viruses and Malware" would be a great course for CompSci students. Which university did it mention that offers the course? I can see it now...day one...don't let any heap or stack memory go unused...down with buffer overflows!!! smile.gif

quote:

Seems as though Canada has recently become an incubator for Virii.

Ya....what the hell is going on up there Andrew? biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif I've written a few viruses if anyone would like to see them. Just let me know your email address and I'll propagate...I mean send them to you. biggrin.gif .... Just kidding BTW

And also...

quote:

"Computer Viruses and Malware,"

Shouldn't the pural word for Virus be like virii or something. I know it's viruses, because I looked it up, but I thought I fell under one of those dumb english rules. Like raduis and radii smile.gif

Now I'm just rumbling on.... cheers.gif