Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

RS 232

ralphy

I'm having trouble sending code to my haas vf4. I just purchased a new computer, intel p4 2.4 512 128video, running windows 2000 pro. The pc is very fast except when sending code to the machine, eight lines in one minute. My old computer still works fine for sending code at 38400,7e2. I have tried every possible setting and have asked everyone else with no luck, so I am hopeing someone on here has had a similar problem or knows how to fix it. Thanks

Are you using the same cable as before, and just have a new computer? Stupid question, but are all the other settings the same as your original box (handshaking, x/on/off, etc.)?

Are you DNC'ing from within Mastercam (post>send to machine), or opening CIMCO and transmitting from there?

I went through a brief period of super slow DNC myself, and found that for some reason my DNC settings from within Mastercam were always defaulting back to 19200 baud, every time I tried to send something, even after I just changed DNC settings back up to 38000. That was about 6 months ago. If I remember, I think I just re-loaded Cimco, and things straighted out.

Also, I have found that using CIMCO directly is a much more stable DNC system. I send through a 25' cable to my Haas at 115000 baud, and have yet to have an error.

Oh yeah, search the forum for DNC...many past posts have hit this topic, too.

Same cable, useing cimco, have set settings exactly the same as old pc and also some new ones. But I'm not talking slow, I'm talking SLOW. Probably four or five lines per minute. I will check out dnc also. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Communication problems are the worst kind of problem to have. The software people won’t help because it sounds like it’s a machine’s-control error. The machine guys won’t help because it may be the computers fault. The computer guys won’t help because they are not talking to Bill Gates this week. And Bill Gates is blaming the third-party RS232 cable. In the end, I usually keep hitting my head against things, until something gives out.

Or you could ask Rekd teh wonder-boy

[ 06-05-2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Surface ]

Or you could contact Cimco-Integration tech support.

ralphy,

If you had stated that Mastercam was your source of communicating to the machine, I would've suspected that the switch "Read PST params(q.80-89) was checked "on". This should be "off" unless you've modified questions 80-89 in the post you're using to control the DNC communications. Quite often the post parameters in q.80-89 are set to an abnormally low baud rate, like 200 or 400, instead of the standard 4800 or 9600. JM2C. cheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Surface - you hit the nail on the head. Most CAM companies and machine tool manufactures dread the CNC communication call.

As another resource, we welcome your calls to our company to assist with technical questions regardless of software vendor. We find that the software is usually not the problem, rather parameters on the CNC control or RS232 cabling wiring.

We have a library of over 200 controls documented that we will be happy to share you. And of course, we do sell RS232 cables ready for plug and play if you have no desire to build one yourself.

CNC communincations and automation is our speciality!

At your service,

Just got back from another road trip and saw some of the comments here, well, here is my $0.002:

All Canadian Mastercam resellers do DNC communication services for their customers and we are very proud of it! At In-House Solutions, we have a DNC department just to support all our customers as well as our Mastercam dealers across Canada - in case you haven't noticed how many companies in Canada are now using DNC-Max as their choice of DNC solutions along with our reseller network's services. That's right, I'm not a salesman, just a tech guy who has done or helped on many of those installations himself!

For Canadian customers, check out our dealer network at http://www.mastercam.ca/resellers/index.html (and call them if you have a DNC question or problem), if you are outside of Canada, be sure to check with CIMCO (by click the link at the bottom of the page) before you choose a DNC system. Shop around and see the truth for yourself!!

It's the crudest of responses and a total annoyance, but here goes: frown.gif

The conflict is likely the mouse against comm port one. unplugging the mouse will likely produce the desired effect.

Try setting your comm port at two, three, or four - this has been a real touchy issue for the last ten years depending on your operating system and your motherboard controller.

I hope this might help - try moving the mouse about constantly while the Dnc is functioning and I believe you will see spurious results which sort of explains my thoughts.

Regards, Jack

What's all this DNC stuff about, anyway? Seriously, we're getting another CNC machine- a vert. mill, we have a 3 axis router- and I'll have to get up to speed with all this sooner than later. Our controlling software for the router is called MAXMotion. I just use a memory stick to cut my files. I'm not sure but I think we're getting either Allen Bradley or a xxxxor controller. Hope I don't trip on the cable.