Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Long reach cutters for roughing aluminum?

We have a few parts coming up that have some deep pockets with tight corner rads. The pockets are close to 4" deep and the corner rads are .375. To make things more exciting, the floors are ramped at a fairly steep angle with .18 fillets creating a closed angle at the deepest area of the pocket requiring a small diameter ballnose to finish the deepest part of the pocket floor.

We were able to rough the parts out to prepare them for heat treat with a larger diameter cutter but now I have to go back in and clear those corners out to prepare for finish. Right now I am roughing them with a smaller diameter, shorter tool for about the first 1.5" and then roughing the remainder of the pocket with a necked 3/4 carbide endmill but it takes a long time. I am thinking about looking in to something insertable as an option but havent found anything that looks like it would work worth a damn. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I tested 3/4" dia DataFlute and Destiny Tools with 6061 T6 aluminum ruffing pockets 5.0" deep with .125 thick walls .400 DOC at 8500 RPM 400 IPM.

Destiny created 68 deg of heat on the part at room temp of 62 degrees, while DataFlute part temp went up to 96 degrees. Plus didn't hold up to the final cut. We did this test on 10 blocks ... Results the same ...

Desting provide less heat distortion and one cutter held up thru all ten blocks ... DataFlute last thru 7 blocks at 50% feed on last two, but still broke ...

Just saying ...

post-6920-0-43528700-1312215804_thumb.jpg

I tested 3/4" dia DataFlute and Destiny Tools with 6061 T6 aluminum ruffing pockets 5.0" deep with .125 thick walls .400 DOC at 8500 RPM 400 IPM.

Destiny created 68 deg of heat on the part at room temp of 62 degrees, while DataFlute part temp went up to 96 degrees. Plus didn't hold up to the final cut. We did this test on 10 blocks ... Results the same ...

Desting provide less heat distortion and one cutter held up thru all ten blocks ... DataFlute last thru 7 blocks at 50% feed on last two, but still broke ...

Just saying ...

Radial Depth?

I just happen to be a huge fan of Destiny tools. Everything but their price. <grin> I'll have to price one and see where they stand. I noticed that their cutters have come down a bit.

I have also become a huge fan of SGS S-Carb for aluminum. I hear that they have a S-carb grind on their necked tools. Tried any of those?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of SGS S-Carb and yes, the necked back versions work awesome as well. I've use Destiny for a number of years being that they are "next door" to me...

Dataflute is a tried and true tool. Codebreaker's test is interesting but didn't say which model Dataflute was being tested...

Helical is also a great tool and just so happens that the owner/founder of it is also the same guy who founded Dataflute "oh, so many years ago"....

Another one of my favs for this app.... SwiftCarb (by Newtech) and I should mention some good luck with GW Schultz tools as well...

... and Robb Jack.... Hanita..... Harvey .... Weldon....

..... Man, there's quite a few good ones out there these days....

We ended up going with the S-CARB and it worked great! Ive wanted to try helicals new variable 3fluters for aluminum but they are a bit too proud of them. The s-carb is about 1/3 cheaper and ski-carbs have been around forever and work great.

The owner of our shop has told us that anyone that orders a swift tool in our shop will be fired on the spot. :) He knows the owner of the company personally and apparently they are not friendly. <grin>

We ended up going with the S-CARB and it worked great! Ive wanted to try helicals new variable 3fluters for aluminum but they are a bit too proud of them. The s-carb is about 1/3 cheaper and ski-carbs have been around forever and work great.

The owner of our shop has told us that anyone that orders a swift tool in our shop will be fired on the spot. :) He knows the owner of the company personally and apparently they are not friendly. <grin>

Yeah Helical is a bit pricey, take a look at Lakeshore Carbide they have variable helix cutters for Alum with the ZrN coating.

Although I don't think they carry extended versions, but will make them upon request.

The pricing for most of their stuff is pretty competitive.

The owner of our shop has told us that anyone that orders a swift tool in our shop will be fired on the spot. He knows the owner of the company personally and apparently they are not friendly. <grin>

Huh... ran into him today. I have no issues with him or the company but to each his own...

That's too bad though for ya'... They make some serious kickin' tools....

The S-Carbs are a good price which is surprising considering how "proud" SGS was back in the day of Ski-Carbs which were pricey for the time even.

Then again, didn't buy much "Skis" after SGS took over the design. I started getting heavy into ARFs and Javelins....