Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Flat patern.

dnguyen1

Dnguyen1,

There prolly is, but we really don't have enough data about the part. I will xxxxume it is sheet metal, bent on 1 or more sides, with features machined in the flat state. I will also xxxxume that the model you have only gives dimensions in the bent state.

For this, you will need to 'unfold' the pattern. I don't know that MC will do that, but there is a formula to take the bend radius and calculate the locations.

'Rekd teh sheet metal n00b

Don't know if they're still in business, but ProFab and ProFold were pretty good.

Thumb Rule:

For sharp corners (minimum rad) you can add the lengths of the flanges (outside to outside) and subtract 1.5X the stock thickness to get the flat length (roughly)

Otherwise there are calculator programs for this that are available

a simple Bend Allowance chart is HERE

there is also this to consider.

Bend allowance (BA) is half of the required data the other is the Outside setback (OSSB) or "X" factor. That data is developed as follows for the bend deduction (BD):

Ð = the degree of bend angle. Mt = material thickness Ir = Inside radius

Bend allowance (BA) = [(0.017453 x Ir) + (0.0078 x Mt)] x Ð Outside Setback(OSSB)or "X" factor = Tangent(Ð / 2)x(Mt+Rp)

Bend deduction (BD) or "K" factor = (OSSB x 2) - BA

These formulas are valid for all bends up to ninety degrees, for bends over ninety use the inverse angle in the formulas i.e.: for 120° use 60° in the calculations.

Look for correct bend deductions is in your method i.e.: air forming, bottom bending or coining. If you are bottom bending or coining you will achieve the radius and therefor the mathematics. If you are "air forming" your inside radius will be based a percentage of the die width. The air forming inside radius can be determined in the following way:

H series Aluminum die width x 10% = Ir Hot rolled steel die width x 12% = Ir Cold rolled steel die width x 15% = Ir 304 stainless die width x 20% = Ir

Determine the radius at it true value, based on method and then solve for your bend deduction or "K" factor using the imperical formulas listed above. If your calculator is programmable it should be no problem or check out ASMA 4.0 for Windows it will do all the mathematics and data comparisons right on your PC.

Also be sure that you check and see if the bend radius you attempting is a "sharp" or a "radius" bend. Sharp being a function of the material means that when air forming the inside radius will be no less then 63% of the material thickness. If "sharp" is the case use that value for the inside radius in your calculations rather then the called radii.

There is more information at my web site http://www.open.org/sdbpac/asma.htm tips & tricks, FAQ’s, hard to find items text books and software.

Steve D. Benson Author: Press Brake Technology, a guide to precision sheet metal bending Ó 1997 SME Programmer: Advanced Sheet Metal Applications ASMA 4.0 Member: FMA’s Precision Sheet Metal Advisory Council

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Hi Nguyen, there's no feature in MasterCAM that will do it automatically...

With all due respect, that's not an entirely accurate statement.

The way I see it, he's got a couple "free" options. He can possibly "Unroll" it, or if that's not feasible and he's got a single surface representing the part he can then use the "Flatsrf.dll" C-Hook. This C-Hook is quite limited as you can only flatten one single surface at a time but it's better than nothing and you can sometimes build a single surface from surface curves then flatten the created surface.

HTH