Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Impeller help

Dtm

Thanks gcode.

I posted the file called impeller, it's in the x5 folder. I'm trying to cut the fillet at the base of the blade and I have a pretty good fight on my hands. Apparently I'm losing the fight. I thought some of the big dogs could take a look. The speeds and feeds and entry exit and small details are not set yet, I'm just trying to get some clean tool paths first. The material is 17-4 32 rockwell if you have any suggestions on tooling. You will notice this part is located on the right spindle of a multiaxis mazak e420. The reason I have the part on the right spindle is for clearance issues. Thanks.

I threw one of my favorite toolpaths for impeller fillets on it and uploaded Impeller(2).zip. I am a bit busy this morning so I did not tweak it thouroghly, so may need change you tilt curve some for clearance issues. As far as tools go I like OSG wxl and wxs series for this situation and material.

I threw one of my favorite toolpaths for impeller fillets on it and uploaded Impeller(2).zip. I am a bit busy this morning so I did not tweak it thouroghly, so may need change you tilt curve some for clearance issues. As far as tools go I like OSG wxl and wxs series for this situation and material.

Thanks Jeremy. This tool path looks good. I tried this tool path and had no luck. If I remember correctly the geometry was already there for you. I tried to use a 1/4 ball. Maybe it freaked out because the fillet and the tool have the same radius. I notices you used a 3/16 ball. Thanks again.

Thanks Jeremy. This tool path looks good. I tried this tool path and had no luck. If I remember correctly the geometry was already there for you. I tried to use a 1/4 ball. Maybe it freaked out because the fillet and the tool have the same radius. I notices you used a 3/16 ball. Thanks again.

I must have had something wrong in the parameters because I just regenerated the toolpath with a 1/4 ball and it looked good. Cool tool path.

One more question if anyone else looks at this part. On the tool path parallel to multiple curves that finishes the blade. The toolpath isn't cutting the front edge of the blade. I have the floor of the impeller a check surface. If I don't have the floor a check surface the tool path cuts the front of the blade, but it gouges the floor of the impeller.

No problem. I had to create a curve around the outside edge of your surfaces for the other morph curve, and I offset your tilt curve out a little and then translated it up in z for the tool axis control.

When I run the verify the tool is plowing through the blade. I trying to tweek it in but not having any luck yet.

It looks like the 1st (green) cutter gouged so that the next cutter appears

not to cut the front(as you put it) of the blade.

If you run the verify you can clearly see that it's not from the first tool. Thanks for looking. When I turned it on the lathe I went right to the tanget point of the radius. Therefore there should be a tiny green area there. If you turn off the check surface on the floor it cleans up all the way around. Weird.

If you run the verify you can clearly see that it's not from the first tool. Thanks for looking. When I turned it on the lathe I went right to the tanget point of the radius. Therefore there should be a tiny green area there. If you turn off the check surface on the floor it cleans up all the way around. Weird.

I will have to guess no one has an anwser.

I will play with it some more this afternoon. I think it is something you could fix with your tool axis control though. Try offeting the curve I used for the fillet out some more and then translate it up in Z some more. Personally I usually morph from a curve at the top of the vane to the top of the fillet.

I will play with it some more this afternoon. I think it is something you could fix with your tool axis control though. Try offeting the curve I used for the fillet out some more and then translate it up in Z some more. Personally I usually morph from a curve at the top of the vane to the top of the fillet.

Thanks Jeremy. Looks like you are the only one that's going to help me out. I have tried to use the morph toolpath to cut the entire blade with no luck. I have been in inspection all day doing first articles so my brain has got a break from this. I have tried so many different variations I feel like I'm losing my mind. Moving the geometry up in z has an effect on the tool path? I would have never guessed to try that. Will get back at it.

Thanks Jeremy. Looks like you are the only one that's going to help me out. I have tried to use the morph toolpath to cut the entire blade with no luck. I have been in inspection all day doing first articles so my brain has got a break from this. I have tried so many different variations I feel like I'm losing my mind. Moving the geometry up in z has an effect on the tool path? I would have never guessed to try that. Will get back at it.

Thanks for looking Jeremy. I got it figured out. I felt the love from everyone else who seems to have an answer for everything. Apparently this isn't the place to post a file. I will make sure I don't do it again.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

We lost a programmer ( see the Memorial Forum) and I've been working crazy hours

trying to keep things from spinning out of control...

From the looks of things Jeremy has been a big help :)

Yes. I don't want to seem like to much of a pie, but when 20 people reply on how to tap a hole and 500 people look at my post and nothing. Kinda feel the love.

500 people look at my post and nothing

Thats 500 views .. not people ... I checked it out at least a dozen times myself.

no telling how many actual individuals looked at it, but I'll bet very very few of them have the knowledge to help

Impeller milling is a rare talent..

I do a lot of them.. but tend to do them with old school methods.. I'm just starting to use the advance 5X toolpaths,

so I've been lurking hoping to learn something too :)

Thats 500 views .. not people ... I checked it out at least a dozen times myself.

no telling how many actual individuals looked at it, but I'll bet very very few of them have the knowledge to help

Impeller milling is a rare talent..

I do a lot of them.. but tend to do them with old school methods.. I'm just starting to use the advance 5X toolpaths,

so I've been lurking hoping to learn something too :)

Thanks dude. I have been using mastercam for 10 months now. I guess Impellers are a bit challenging, however there are guys on this forum who seem to have an answer for everything. Almost! I'm done with my rant. It's beer thirty.

DTM, Sorry I'm late to the party, but I have no forum access at work, so I never D/L'd the file.

But based on the pic, and your statement about turning off the floor check surface, that is a common MC headache with vane tips. Because of the tight transition of the tip, it is difficult to maintain the relationship of normals to the floor and turn the tight corner around the vane tip. You will almost always see a gouge at the tip trying to mill the vane wall and tip in a continuous path. You will see this best in Vericut.

I have done hundreds of impellers in mastercam, and I ALWAYS leave the tip for an additional separate path.

The more twist the vane has, the more important this becomes.

And I rarely use anything but tapered ball EMs