Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spiralock tapping on the machine?

#Rekd™

Hi,

I have a bunch of 4-40 and 6-32 blind holes to tap in 17-7ss. They are drilled 0.420" deep and threaded 0.25" deep.

Spiralock sent me some spiral fluted taps and the first one broke on the first hole. I drilled the hole with a HSS drill close to the largest recommend minor diameter and I used CoolTool II for tapping fluid. They are sending me some Spiral Pointed taps now.

Can somebody please advise on how to tap these parts? Do I need to Peck tap (never done that)?

Thanks in advance.

John

Hi,

I have a bunch of 4-40 and 6-32 blind holes to tap in 17-7ss. They are drilled 0.420" deep and threaded 0.25" deep.

Spiralock sent me some spiral fluted taps and the first one broke on the first hole. I drilled the hole with a HSS drill close to the largest recommend minor diameter and I used CoolTool II for tapping fluid. They are sending me some Spiral Pointed taps now.

Can somebody please advise on how to tap these parts? Do I need to Peck tap (never done that)?

Thanks in advance.

John

John,

I prefer to use form taps when ever possible especially on blind holds. Yea they are harder to elox out if or when they break but they seem to be stronger than cut taps.

I've have some jobs that are pecked tap in a VMC. Usually I just post the cycle out than hand edit the code, copying the g84 line but reducing the depth in the first line by half. On some materials pecking more than twice will lead to a o/s thread.

HTH

John,

I prefer to use form taps when ever possible especially on blind holds. Yea they are harder to elox out if or when they break but they seem to be stronger than cut taps.

I've have some jobs that are pecked tap in a VMC. Usually I just post the cycle out than hand edit the code, copying the g84 line but reducing the depth in the first line by half. On some materials pecking more than twice will lead to a o/s thread.

HTH

They did not offer me a cold form tap, not sure if they make them?

Spiral Lock has a different thread form than normal threads for vibration resistance and the minor diameters are held tighter.

I have used spiral lock roll taps before. They create alot of tool pressure. Only way I could get 1 1/2 + the diameter for depth

was to peck tap.

Spiral Lock has a different thread form than normal threads for vibration resistance and the minor diameters are held tighter.

I have used spiral lock roll taps before. They create alot of tool pressure. Only way I could get 1 1/2 + the diameter for depth

was to peck tap.

Is peck taping a Mastercam option or a post setting?

Thanks

John

Is peck taping a Mastercam option or a post setting?

Thanks

John

John,

I don't know about the option but I would think the post could be altered for it. Like I posted before I usually hand edit in Cimco editor. I guess it depends how many you have to tap as to how much work it would be to copy and paste the G84 line. Sorry but I don't know what to edit to make it happen in the post setting.

Peck tapping is a mcam option. on fanuc the only difference is there is a Q value in your G84. Have you considered drilling the hole undersized then circle milling the minor diameter. What could be snapping your taps is your drill is wandering causing the tap to engage to much on one side. The minor drill diameter for a standard 4-40 tap is .089 and at only 1/4 depth you should easily be able to true the hole up with a 1/16 endmill. I have neer tried to peck tap anything that small but use it all the time on large threads to break the chip