Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam with solid state drive

Yes...the solid state drive should be used for your OS and program installs

and the standard hard drive for storage

That's how I have mine. Some of my Mcam files are 100 meg or bigger so I put those on the SSD while I'm working on them. I work the smaller files from the HDD so I do less moving back and forth.

Ok thank'sSo it's better to install the OS on the SSD to get better results?Fred

Yes. I believe it has to do with the faster seek rate of the SSD. You have your programs installed on the SSD so they start and run faster. As stated above, I keep my larger part files on the ssd but I also have some large files on my hdd that open pretty fast. I have some large fioles that I'm almost done with that I'm going to move to the hdd to test the difference in load speed between the ssd and the hdd. If the difference is small I might just keep all part files on the hdd and work them from there.

How is that new computer treating you Kevin??

It's working great. I did some big jobs that were slowing down my old system to a crawl and this one ripped right through them.

It's a Dell Precision T3500 with Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz, 12g ram, 6-core, x64

I have dual SyncMaster 2443's so the graphics are real good. I'm hoping for good results when Mcam releases their x64 version.

I have a question, i just got a new PC (Dell T3500, 4core [email protected], 6gigs, Quadro 4000, standard harddisk 7200r/min, win7 X64) and still have power problem as i load pretty large Mcam file (around 50Mo with about 50 operations including 5x ops).

My problem is a general slow down when i edit (or create) a simple 2D contour into this file, it takes around 4 or 5 seconds to load and show the GUI.

So what may be the cause of this slow down? Is it a hardware problem and should i update something in my config? or is this phenomenon unavoidable and mcam related (NCI too large, too much entities in database,...)?

What version are you running? X3 and 4 had a lag issue, but it was better in X5 and completely gone in X5MU1

Argh... i'm using X3MU1 and i will be stuck with it for a few months or even years... I tried X5 demo and its new 2D and 3D dynamic toolpaths... i'd love to work with them but my boss don't want to pay :(

i'd love to work with them but my boss don't want to pay :(

that's too bad.. with the right parts, dynamic toolpaths would pay for the upgrade with one part.

I just finished an op on a big aluminum hog out..

One high speed horizontal operation finished a whole face that would have taken 20 to 25 ops

and a day to program doing it old school... very cool stuff... the hard part is getting the operators to trust all that zooming

around and pull the trigger :D

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

SSD all the way for OS and Programs. Data... depends. Large files, or complex files... work with it on the SSD, when complete, transfer to the HDD.

CATIA launches ready to draw in under 30 seconds. Mastercam is ready to work in under 10...

The OS and MCX installed on the SSD = Winning.

I took a brand new Costco ZT systems computer with Windows 7 Pro X64, Core i7-2600, 12GB RAM, slapped in a Samsung 128GB SSD and a Quadro FX580, and promptly destroyed pretty much everybody in the benchmark for $1300 total (and no time spent/wasted building a computer from scratch). Mastercam opens in 1-2 seconds. Solidworks 2011 in about 3-4. It takes about 20-30 seconds from hitting the power button, to creating toolpaths. It would be a little bit faster but there's a delay for the wireless keyboard to activate before I can enter my password. :p

I was still getting lag opening the toolpath parameters in X5MU1 with my old computer. The new computer opens them instantaneously. Now I recommend the SSD to everybody I know.

We Have 3 new workstations at work, they are all the same except mine has a ssd drive (only drive installed), and the other 2 machines have wd velociraptors, and I have tested the machines regenerating the same program on both machines, and the SSD was only 2 seconds faster than the velociraptor. Boot times, and loading mcam are much faster with SSD though.