Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thin wall 303 sst

BenK

I'm cutting a 303 sst part that is 1.52 tall .7 wide and 1.56 long. it has a .45wide slot that goes 1.22deep and leaving one end of the slot still closed. My fixture is only holding onto about .125 of my work piece using Mitee-bite pitbull clamps. My endmill for the outside is a .625 sgs v-carb in an Albrecht holder and a .02 finish pass. and for the inside I'm using a dynamic path and a .25 v-carb relieved to 1.3 in a ER-16 holder and my finisher is the same setup using a .02 finish pass. My problem is my finish is really chattering both inside and out. Any suggestions?

Here is my fixture showing the stock. I cant show the part.

gallery_20840_31_2596.gif

^^^+1

try plunging the slot with a 3/8 em. rough the outside leaving about .05 per side if possible.

the use the 1/4 em to step down, chaining the slot and outside as one chain if possible.

this will leave the thicker section below the cut for support.

i've done this on thin walled parts before to get rid of chatter and tool deflection.

Ken,