Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

new computer

Rick46

Im looking at getting a new computer for work and running X5 on it. I have been on the dell/mastercam workstation configuration page and theres so much to choose from. Im not sure as to what kind of video card to get and is master cam even 64 bit or does it run out of the 32 bit side of windows 7. what is a good processer and video card to look for Im thinking 4gb of memory should be sufficent and I will be running mill level 3 and doing small and large 3D surface files probablly run dual monitors on this station as well.need something thats gonna crunch the numbers fast and the display is gonna be acceptable if not superb if that makes sense.lol..last time I ordered a new workstation for X2 it had XP Pro on it and there werent so many decisions and alot has changed now and Im ready to plunge into a new system and OS. The prices are much cheaper than what I paid for the last workstation 5 yrs ago but now they seem much cheaper or am I not getting every thing I need id what my concerns are. thanks everyone for any advice on this..

If you're on maintenance get a Win7x64 machine as X6 is a true x64 app now

and there is a pretty nice improvement in performance running Win7x64

Your're going to want a Quadro video card..

A Quadro 2000 is pretty good and Quadro 4000 is even better

You'll also want 8 to 12 gig of ram

check Solidbox out.

These are Dell workstations with full Dell warranties and 10 to15% cheaper than Dell prices

I just got my new desktop this week. Dell T5500 Intel Xeon dual quad core Windows 7 64 bit 12 GB ram dual Nvidia Quadro 4000 graphics cards. It is much faster than my old system at generating tool paths and manipulating solid models with a 3D controller, but it still takes a while to verify when comparing to STL files with the tolerances tightened up.

Keep your eye on Dell factory outlet. You can pick up very good machines for much less than "new". These can be refirbs or "scratch & dent"...but they are all new. You might have to wait a week or 2...check daily & you will find a monster for cheap. Solidbox could not come close to the price I paid for a T7500. 6 core X5660 @ 2.8Ghz, 12Gb Ram, quadro 2000, 2 500 GB drives ( I still want to put a SSD in there) for well under $2000.

Warning bout the T7500 Tower....the thing is friggin HUGE

http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/precision-desktops?~ck=anav

If you want a pc/workstation that kicks a$$ and the price doesn't kick yours, do NOT go with a Dell or SolidBox.

Get one that has:

i7 2600k processor (has one of the fastest times in the benchmark thread)

at least 8gb of RAM

Windows 7 64 bit.

As for the video card, get the GTX560,GTX580,or the Quadro 4000

The Quadro 4000 will shine when you have huge files with lots of surfaces and solids.