Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helix Bore in MC9, level 1

jenks

I have a job where this seems to be the process I want to use. I am counterboring in an angled surface. This is the first time I have attempted to use this option.

TOOLPATHS--NEXT MENU--CIRC TOOLPATHS--HELIX BORE

I chose my geometry, filled in the parameters, and ran the the backplot on the part. In backplot, the tool comes down, gets to the top of the stock and proceeds to clean out my little pocket using arc mills. Ah ha! Just exactly what I wanted it to do.

But, when I post the code, there aren't any arcs. Every move is a G1,with very small moves. For example here are a few lines of the code that was generated:

N19 G1 Z-.912 (TOP OF THE STOCK AT THIS POINT)

N21 X-.0235 Y1.3162 Z-.9131

N23 X-.0147 Y1.3145 Z-.9142

N25 X-.0058 Y1.3137 Z-.9153

You can see from the code what is happening, and since I am going down 1.254" from the top of the stock, using code like this, it is a lot of lines!

My first question. Is this the way it should work?

My second question, and a statement. It probably isn't. So, what parameter(s) did I not set correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Jenks,

Is # of lines an issue? If not let'er run, I generally dont filter anything but most machines I run these days have a pretty strong controller and process the info nicely.Yes it is correct if your not trying to filter for MC to spit out a trmendous amount of lines.

Hey Trev hows it goin?NIce weather here and equipment. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the quick responses.

No, the number of lines is not important.

Actually, the only reason I brought up the question was that I thought it should output arcs in the program since the backplot showed arcs.

It led me to believe that I had screwed something up, and I am easily led that way. So, like you said, "I'll just let it rip."

Thanks again for the replies.

Jenks, if you have create arcs checked, then Mastercam is outputting helical arcs to the NCI file, but your post processor is splitting the helical arcs into line segments.

In the post processor you should check the variable helix_arc. That variable has to be set to 1 or 2 for you to get helical arcs from that toolpath (the output postlines for arc output has to be correct for outputting helical arcs too, of course).

[ 06-24-2003, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Christian Raebild ]

quote:

so it is the post that is outputing (or not outputing) helix moves...in the form of g18-g19 (arcs in xz and yz)?

I seriously doubt you want *helix* moves in G18 or G19 plane. Besides, I don't believe MC offers such a toolpath.

Thad

quote:

In the post processor you should check the variable helix_arc. That variable has to be set to 1 or 2 for you to get helical arcs from that toolpath (the output postlines for arc output has to be correct for outputting helical arcs too, of course

I design dies & tools and a lot of the work i do is for round impressions in the die blocks. Subsequently i use the excellent radial toolpath a lot. I've tried filtering the toolpaths etc but can't seem to get Mastercam to machine these as arcs. I'm not limited by the length of the programs but surface finish is paramount, we don't do any benching of the dies, Mastercam is breaking up these radial toolpaths into small linear moves and so the surface finish is not what i would expect. I'm running a 3 axis vertical mill with Heidenhain 426 control. What am i doing wrong ? When the toolpath is backplotted there are no arcs produced by Mastercam in the backplot so i guess that this is not a post problem. confused.gif