Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Posting - Network vs. Local

thewarrior1012

We currently have 3 seats of Mastercam and we have our configurations set to pull a common set of files, ie tool library, operations defaults, etc. The files save directly to the network, both MCX and NC. Recently I had to take my system to a vendors place to do some R&D work with their bed mill, and noticed that posting times went from 5-6 minutes to post a file down to less than 30 seconds. At first I thought maybe I was on a bad port on the network, but after returning and swithcing ports on our switch, same results. So what should I be looking for to debug this? This is a huge detriment that we never realized existed.

Thanks.

Todd G. Martin

We currently have 3 seats of Mastercam and we have our configurations set to pull a common set of files, ie tool library, operations defaults, etc. The files save directly to the network, both MCX and NC. Recently I had to take my system to a vendors place to do some R&D work with their bed mill, and noticed that posting times went from 5-6 minutes to post a file down to less than 30 seconds. At first I thought maybe I was on a bad port on the network, but after returning and swithcing ports on our switch, same results. So what should I be looking for to debug this? This is a huge detriment that we never realized existed.

Thanks.

Todd G. Martin

What's the specs on your switch/cable? Also, depends on how your network security is set up.

This is a network issue, not a Mastercam issue

Our employer gave the IT department a blank check to build the engineering network and it shows.

The server has 9 1 terabyte hard drives , 2 run the OS and 7 store data some sort of RAID configuration.

All the engineering workstations have dedicated lines running straight to the server so there are no hub bottlenecks.

This workstation has Western Digital 10K Velociraptor hard drives and there is no discernible difference

between posting to the HD or the network.

You don't notice the difference saving Mastercam files either until the files get very large.