Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problems with trimmed toolpath

ICT_Outkast

Using V9 SP1 and we are having trouble with trimming toolpath. It trims the path just fine, but it throws in some strange Z moves....X and Y will position to a point, rapid down in Z then rapid back up, without cutting anything, then position for the next actual cut...(hope this makes sense)...Like I said, it trims the actual toolpath just fine, but it sort of freaks out the operator when it comes down and doesn't actually machine anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is this a surface toolpath you are trimming? If so why not use tool containment boundaries? The only time I've ever really used trim with surface toolpaths was in v7 and v8, now in v9 you can use as many tool containment boundaries as you like and they can be nested.

2) If this is one of the wireframe toolpaths are you trying to trim to the edge of the path you made? If so extend your toolpath beyond the extents you want it trimmed to then it will trim just fine without those z moves.

You will get those z moves whenever you are trimming to the very end of your toolpath. If you offset your trim curve to the inside .0001" they will go away.

HTH

Jerry , it s OK !

I love trim and use it a loteven with surfaces .

One example :

I have a lot of parts that have 120 radial angle slots ,rotated 3 degrees around center,that I do surface parallel .

The part I fix to the table with clamps change .

Well , being a lazy man I do one toolpath,transorm-> rotate it by 3 degrees needed times and copy the toolpath .

Then I trim toolpath twice , one for one clamps position ,second for the second one.

I made a typical operation library and all my process for a new part writing takes me 10 minutes, to change geometry and make a regen !

I love Mastercam ! cheers.gif

• 2 months later...