Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File size

DWD

Hi guys,

Posted a similar problem years ago with mcx where files were way to big for what they were and they were taking too long to save and work with. Turns out that there were overlapping blanked entities that got copied over and over again when I was merging files. You guys pointed that out to me and it solved the problem!

Now we are back there again. This time there is no blanked entities, and no groups. And somehow the files that I am merging and working with are huge for no reason. For example, I have a file here with 18 lines, 6 arcs and no surfaces or toolpaths. This file is over 11000k... WTF?? Only thing I can think of is that is claims to have 107 tools even though when I do a countour and go to select a tool, it only shows 1 tool. Also, this file used to have toolpaths that were deleted. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

-Kevin

If you go in to the Solids tab in the OP manager, does it show tool paths associated with the solid?

If it does, delete them as they are no longer there anyway

I dont have solids option but I just checked and nothing there anyways.

X3 if it matters

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone??

I've done some more research, in the level manager, it shows over 75000 entities in the first level. When I click on screen/statistics and add up all of the entities in total, it shows 580. This is so frustrating, every time I use this file and import new geometry, it just grows. Also, if I "save some" and choose all of the geometry, it saves into a tiny file. But then I loose all of my toolpaths. When I then go to save this new tiny file for the first time, it balloons back to its original huge size. I'm out of ideas.

Thanks

Anyone??

I've done some more research, in the level manager, it shows over 75000 entities in the first level. When I click on screen/statistics and add up all of the entities in total, it shows 580. This is so frustrating, every time I use this file and import new geometry, it just grows. Also, if I "save some" and choose all of the geometry, it saves into a tiny file. But then I loose all of my toolpaths. When I then go to save this new tiny file for the first time, it balloons back to its original huge size. I'm out of ideas.

Thanks

Have you tried screen-> unblank entities? There coulod be some entities that you cannot see on the screen because they are hidden or blanked.

Have you tried screen-> unblank entities? There coulod be some entities that you cannot see on the screen because they are hidden or blanked.

Like I mentioned in the OP, that was a problem I had a while back. That is not the case here now.

-Kevin

Entities are not the culprit.

Its the tool paths . MC has some kind

Crazy way it compiles associativity.

I average 100meg to 500 meg files.

I have been having this issue since I started

Using mc at X2.

I have done everything including talked toCNC

about it.

I took a 350meg file and reproduced it in another

Software, I made the total tool path tolerance,

Twice as fine as mc (.0005") to .00025".

I reproduced the paths with identical settings ,

Step overs and step downs, etc. at .00025" total tol.

The other software had a file size of 29meg,

Just over 10x smaller file size.

I then changed the mc total Tolerance's on all

The tool paths to .00025". And the MC file increased its

Size too 570 meg or 570 000kb, if you will.

It's tough to say why unless you are a software

Developer but I am told it the old dos kernel

And too much 3rd party software stitched together.

I believe they will have a version some day

Built from the ground up, and IMHO that's when

The size issue and many others will be straightened

Out.

Entities are not the culprit.

It the tool paths . MC has some kind

Crazy way it compiles accociativity.

I average 100meg to 500 meg files.

I have been having this issue since I started

Using mc at X2.

I have done everything including talked toCNC

about it.

I took a 350meg file and reproducedit in another

Software, I made the total tool path tolerance,

Twice as fine as mc (.0005") to .00025".

I reproduced the paths with identicle setting ,

Step overs and step downs at .00025" total tol.

The other software had a file size of 29meg,

Just over 10x smaller file size.

I then changed the mc total Torrance's on all

The tool paths to .00025". And the MC file increased its

Size too 570 meg

It's tough to say why unless you are a software

Developer but I am told it the old dos kernal

And too much 3rd party software stitched together.

I believe they will have a version some day

Built from the ground up, and IMHO that's when

The size issue and many others will be straightened

Out.

Interesting you would mention that. I also have a hunch it has something to do with toolpath associations. If I were to take the bare geometry and add toolpaths once, everything would be fine. It seems to be an issue with these files that I use as my "master files". That's where I merge new geometry, re-select the new geometry for toolpaths, delete the old entities and save as a new file.

CNC had no solution for you beside "wait"??

-Kevin

.RMD is 265kb. Control is about double that.

Kevin,

Somethin' don't sound quite right, the RMD file size sounds right but the control typically is a smaller file size than the machine def.

Have you backed up a previous unviolated version of the control def?

Looking at the router default in X6, mine is 431kb

Just double checked and ya - it is what it is. The files for my other machine are almost identical, but so are the machines. For some reason, I have to default file sizes to compare to. But remember - this is X3, so maybe that is why the x6 files are bigger. I'm waiting for a bit before I switch to x6 - sounds like there is problems with that install.

Too bad there wasnt at least a chook to "clean toolpath associations" or something like that. Would at least be a temporary solution.

Thanks for all of your help