Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma E100 and P200

Mick

Hi there,

We have four Okuma machines. A U100L controlled lathe, a OSP7000L controlled lathe, a E100M controlled mill, and a P200L controlled Multus.

At the header of each programme, the progranme name is defined as follows: $FILENAME.MIN%

When Cimco sends the file, the two lathes (U100L and OSP7000L) read that and receive the file under that name, and retain the $****.MIN% header.

On the other two machines, they strip that line out of the programme. When the programme is sent back to Cimco, it reads the comment line for the filename which is fine, but it means when the file is resent later, the E100M and P200L machines don't recognise the filename.

Is there a setting within the Okumas to retain the filename string at the header of the programme?

Hi there,

We have four Okuma machines. A U100L controlled lathe, a OSP7000L controlled lathe, a E100M controlled mill, and a P200L controlled Multus.

At the header of each programme, the progranme name is defined as follows: $FILENAME.MIN%

When Cimco sends the file, the two lathes (U100L and OSP7000L) read that and receive the file under that name, and retain the $****.MIN% header.

On the other two machines, they strip that line out of the programme. When the programme is sent back to Cimco, it reads the comment line for the filename which is fine, but it means when the file is resent later, the E100M and P200L machines don't recognise the filename.

Is there a setting within the Okumas to retain the filename string at the header of the programme?

Not so familiar with the DNC options in Cimco, but you might be able to set it to add that line back in based on the filename it reads, most DNC systems I have dealt with have that capability. You would then have no need to change things at the control.

With the E100L and P200L (At least I believe the E control does), you have ethernet, why use rs232 at all? Hook them up to the network, firewall them so they can only see the one server, point them to the dnc folder on the server (might need to setup a FTP service), and bypass the DNC system. Cat skinned a different way.

Husker

Not so familiar with the DNC options in Cimco, but you might be able to set it to add that line back in based on the filename it reads, most DNC systems I have dealt with have that capability. You would then have no need to change things at the control.

With the E100L and P200L (At least I believe the E control does), you have ethernet, why use rs232 at all? Hook them up to the network, firewall them so they can only see the one server, point them to the dnc folder on the server (might need to setup a FTP service), and bypass the DNC system. Cat skinned a different way.

Husker

We put in the DNC system to replace the Ethernet system, because it possible for the operators to over write NC files. And the RS232 setup we have works extremely well.

I'll look at Cimco to see if it can put the header back :)

I think this is a BIT parameter you will need to look it up in the Manual

I'm sure it is too Greg, but I'm not sure which one :(

"Filename Present In Reading Operation at CN0: (RS232C) In DNC-A Mode

Does that sound like it? or

"File name output for tape punch out"

Maybe?

:)

In my P200s it is Optional Parameter: Program Operation Filename Punch

On the newer controls you will not see the program $ABCDEFG.MIN% on the top of the screen in the edit field like we do on our 5020, but that has nothing to do with your issue.

C

I just checked the settings on our P200 and it is aet as follows:

Program Operation Filename: Punch

However, it doesn't punch it out :(. Maybe I need to dig a bit deeper :)

Are you SURE it is on the machine side? What does the Cimco start trigger setup look like?

DNCMAX.jpg

Our Cimco DNC is set up similar. The difference with ours is that the name of the NC file stored on the server is different to the NC file when it is stored on the machine.

For expample, on the server, our programme might be named 1234567 UPPER WIBBLE OP10.MIN

The filename would be too long for the controller, so within the programme on the server, it would be structured like this:

$123456UWOP10.MIN%

(1234567 UPPER WIBBLE OP10)

N1

N2

N3 etc etc

M2

%

When the programme is bar code requested from the machine, the programme is received into the machine as 1234567UWOP10.MIN.

Now, either at this point (when it is received) the header is stripped, or when the operator punches it back (if of course, the operator needs to punch it back for example, if a modification is made). Our Cimco is set up to read the incoming file, and look for the first comment enclosed in brackets, in this case the 1234567 UPPER WIBBLE OP10, and names the incoming file this.

The system works fine on our older controls, but the two newer controls (the E100M and the P200L) don't play ball.

Woohoo, got it sorted :)

Turned out that I had the setting right "Program Operation File Name Punch" (set to Punch), but Tape Feed was set to SPACE FEED and Tape Feed Holes was set to 250.

I set the Tape Feed to FEED HOLES and Tape Feed Holes to 1, and it works, outputting the $FILENAME.MIN% at the header of the programme.

Being that it is Friday afternoon now, I can go and have a beer on the way home :)

Thanks everyone for your input :)