Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to toolpath Solidworks

Jeff the haas_guy

Jeff,

There are two ways to add toolpaths to a solid. You can chain the edges of the solid itself or you can create 2D wireframe on the edges of the solid and use that wireframe to drive your toolpaths. Creating 2D wireframe is my method of choice. There are a few options to create wireframe on your solid. You can import the solid with wireframe or you can import it without wireframe and use create/curve/one edge or create/curve/all edges. The basic principle is to chain the wireframe to drive your toolpaths and use the solid to select your depths.

HTH

Jeff

Some times you will have to create additional wireframe off of the solid as well as on the edges of the solid. Here is a picture to illustrate what I am talking about.

I imported the grey solid without wire frame then created all the red wireframe to drive my toolpaths. The wireframe for each toolpath is ceated on a seperate level and named so I can turn it on and off as needed. This helps keep the graphics area from getting to cluttered up.

HTH

Solidwithwireframe.jpg

"You can chain the edges of the solid itself " No disrespect intended but...

You can either search the forum, or Google it. Either way the answers the same. The last thing a noob needs to try and do is chain from a solid. Move the solid to a new level and use the original curves created on import.

I always copy the curves I need to a new level, then use that for chaining. This keeps the original geo intact.