Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Extrusion die suggestions

Pilot Plant Supervisor

I have an extrusion die to cut and unfortunately I can't post pictures of it. Basically, it is 1 1/4" thick H13 steel with a shape in the middle that has surfaces angled and radiused down in to the shape. The radii and angles vary along the edges so that the material comes out the back at roughly the same speed to avoid bending and twisting. This is my first time with this type of work so I thought I'd ask for suggestions. My strategy is HST toolpaths: Optirough with 3/4" insert ball endmill - Rest rough with 1/2" insert ball endmill - Rest rough with 1/4" solid ball endmill - Hybrid finish with 1/4" solid ball endmill. Am I on the right track? What arc filter settings and tool step over/down should I use to minimize polishing? Being an extrusion die, it needs a very smooth finish.

The machines I have available are a Haas VF5 40 taper or a Haas EC1600 50 taper. I am leaning towards the horizontal because it is newer and has glass scales and 50 taper. The vertical has air gun though. Any thoughts? I plan on using the Haas High Speed Machining demo on whatever machine I go with.

Thanks for the help.

My strategy is HST toolpaths: Optirough with 3/4" insert ball endmill - Rest rough with 1/2" insert ball endmill - Rest rough with 1/4" solid ball endmill - Hybrid finish with 1/4" solid ball endmill.

I've never roughed with a ball end mill so let me know how that turns out... sounds like you already got started.

Usually, I rough with a "bullmill" style... an end mill with a radius on the insert... or better yet, I like roughing with a Mitsubishi AJX feedmill. You can run some impressive feedrates and smaller DOC so that you keep the heat down.

Then, you can step down with rest roughing.

JM2C

The dies turned out good, but i have a lot to learn. Roughing with the ball nose worked well except the Optirough path left some scallops that it tried to drive through at 300 IPM (default). Rather than reprogram, I just changed the backfeed to 50IPM and it was fine. The Rest rough paths didn't have that problem. I'm still playing with the finish pass. I used Hybrid finish on the first die and it was fast and efficient, but the finish was poor because it changed directions on the shallow angled flats so there were sections of smooth climb cut finish, and sections of torn conventional cut. The second die I finished with Waterline pass and it took almost twice as long to machine, but the finish was uniform. Unfortunately, cutting from the outside in, it was a conventional cut on the shallow angle flats, and climb on the radii. If I get a chance to make a third, I think I'll try Surface Finish contour so I can cut from inside out which will climb cut the whole surface. I'm playing with that toolpath now, but I'm not sure I can force the step up and step over to get the finish I need.