Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool parameter updates

romer

Not sure if this is a bug, but when you change tool parameters in the operation manager, a prompt asks if you want to update the tool and all operations that use the tool. Clicking OK gets dirty operations if the changes were to critical parameters. Regenerate the ops and everything is as you changed.

However, if the mod is a simple feed or speed change, (apparently a non-critical update) you still get the prompt, but nothing gets changed.

The Help file explains it as if it should make the changes automatically without any regeneration just as if you did it individually to any single operation.

Am I misunderstanding this feature?

Thanks,

Romer

[ 07-12-2003, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: romer ]

Christian,

I understand the difference between the changes,

(those that will require regeneration and those that will not) I just wonder why it does not update the parameters in the operation. If you try it, you'll see it does nothing. If you want to change it you have to go to each individual operation and make the update.

While it still does not require regeneration, it is not making the batch tool parameter change the help file claims it will make.

Thanks,

Romer

A bug? In computer software?

Surely, ye jest!

Is there somewhere to report this or is it already known?

Also, is there a database somewhere that lists all bugs that can be referenced to see if any given glitch a person finds has already been reported?

Thanks,

Romer

Romer,

I'm unclear on what it *doesn't* change when you tell it to. Or is it that you just have to regen all the affected paths and according to your interpretation of the help file, you shouldn't have to?

Here is what happened to one of my collegues. He was programming a job and one of the tools he used was a 1" Ingersoll with .063 corner rads. After doing some more programming on the same job, a few hours later he needed another 1" tool, but this time it required a .125 corner rad. To "simplify" things, he just grabbed the 1" Ingersoll that he programmed already (but hadn't run) and changed the corner radius. He got the same message that you mentioned about updating all other ops that use that tool. He said yes. After doing this, his first op with the .063 corner rad was now dirty. Not realizing what had happened, he regenerated his .063 rad op for a .125 rad. Later, when he ran the progrma, from memory, he recalled that he programmed with a .063 corner rad, so that's the tool he loaded and ran. The problem was, it was regenned to use a .125 rad. (I hope this isn't getting too confusing. biggrin.gif ) Now, the area was undercut because of running the "wrong" tool.

I'm not sure if this means anything to you or not, but perhaps it will spark some thoughts. I hope I've provided some insight on how this is supposed to work, or at least gave you something else to think about.

Thad

I don`t think it is a bug ,Mastercam simply considers that every tool change must regen geometry.

You can have 2 similar tools that differs in lengh or tool arbor .

This things Mc not checks ,it considers new tool - new geometry.

You can change the tool from library with the same tool and you`ll have to regen !

Yet it has a sence ,like when you are doing surface contour with an undercut and Mc checks it`s code for not entering part with arbor diameter for example, and a lot of other cases !

I think that as a work around before changing tool you can do locking of your code with a tool

you are going to change : operation manager:select needed jobs ->right click->options->locking->on.

At least your code will be preserved.

But the best way is not to change a tool but to add another one!

Iskander s!z never say die !

Thad,

In the help file Mastercam separates changes to the tool parameters into two categories, critical and non-critical. Obviously changing tool geometry is critical and will result in a change of toolpath geometry, as your colleague demonstrated.

Strictly speaking changing feeds and speeds is non-critical and will not affect geometry. Therefore Mastercam doesn't require regeneration of the toolpaths.

If you do the same thing your colleague did but only change the tool rpm, you will get the same prompt asking if you wish to update the tool etc. clicking yes changes the parameters in the tool definition but doesn't change anything in any of the operations that use that tool. To make the changes each individual operation has to be opened and the tool clicked on to update. This seem at odds with what is explained in the help files.

Hopefully all that made sense.

Thanks,

Romer

• 4 weeks later...