Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mazak Vari-axis Machine Definition?

Hey Guys and Girls,

The company I'm working for purchaced a post for the vari-axis 630. As far as the machine discription... what do I need to get this to work? I've built a machine description to what I think should work? But I'm getting this error "this michine does not have a valid axis combination defined and cannot be used in a toolspath group"

Any suggestions?

thanks!

I would suggest getting a quote from InHouse for a Mazak Variaxis, their post and the support that goes with it are solid. They would supply the machine & control def with the custom post there would be no reason to create a new one.

This is NOT an easy post depending on the machines capabilities.

Get with your reseller and look into a purchased post. The hours of work and headaches alone will make this a "no brainer" purchase.

This is NOT a post for a hack and slasher to work on, there is TOO much going on in that machine.

These posts are developed over many weeks, this isn't a good machine for a trial and error person to be working on

I am a very adept post guy and I won't touch one.

Just take that for what it's worth

This is NOT a post for a hack and slasher to work on, there is TOO much going on in that machine.

John, are you perhaps thinking of an Integrex? The Variaxis is a normal trunnion table machine. Obviously still a complex post, but I'd think pretty straight forward as far as 5 axis posts?

variaxis_full.gif

We already purchased the post. Should we have gotten the machine definition with it? The post is from In-house

Yes, you should have, it was likely an oversight either on your dealers end or IHS but double check, those should be forthcoming

John, are you perhaps thinking of an Integrex? The Variaxis is a normal trunnion table machine. Obviously still a complex post, but I'd think pretty straight forward as far as 5 axis posts?

yes I was thinking an MMT lathe, completely forgetting the Vari-axis is a 5 axis machine. One thing I have learned, for the most part, nothing with Mazak is straight ahead.

Within the software Wes, you HAVE to load a machine def.

SO you HAVE to have it linked, near as I can tell, even if you avoid the machine parameters, you still need the machine def to load everything

Wes,

This is likely just an error with the Axis Combination. Axis Combinations tell Mastercam which set of components are being used for a particular operation. For a normal Milling machine, Axis Combinations are rarely used. (I setup my 4 and 5 axis machines with two combinations: 3 Axis only, and full rotary. The 3 Axis combination is for when a user does not want rotary output. Think of a Haas Trunnion style machine. If you remove and unplug the trunnion, the machine will error if you program a rotary address.)

Axis combinations are mostly used on Lathes with multiple turrets.

• 4 months later...