Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Max number of tool planes in MCX2 file.

I'm not sure I follow you here...

I always name my planes, but before I do that MC seems to keep track of names and by default inserts: "NEW VIEW [+1]".

You will only get a duplicate name if the new plane matches one of the default or previously created planes. Edit: Actually it automatically jumps to the already defined plane without creating a new one if it finds a match.

Mark,

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Here's what happens: I create a toolplane and mastercam names it "New View 49". I create another tool plane and mastercam also names it "New View 49" even though they are different toolplanes. When I restart mastercam an error message pops up and says "This view already exists do you want to overide. When I select yes mastercam renames one of the "New View 49's" to plane old "49". Having different toolplanes with the same name makes it a little hard to tell what output I'm going to get. The only fix seems to be a restart of mastercam.

X2 is 5+ years old.

I can not for the life of me remember if that was bug back then.

Best thing to do moving forward, don't let the system name them, name them yourself something that makes a bit of sense.

But no, different planes, oriented differently, should NOT have the same name.

I do remember there were several issues with X2 files being brought forward but don't remember all of the issues.

+1 to what John said.

X2 was a long time ago...

I always name my views. I suggest you develop a simple naming system that works for you and can be easly understood by others trying to work on your files in future.

I always include work offset # and a rotation angle.

Example:

G55 B68.00

Hth

I couldn't agree with you guys more about moving forward. I'm using X5 and getting ready to switch to X6. This was a file another programmer was working on. He doesn't like the tree style layout so for now he is sticking to X2. He is a really talented programmer who programs the most complicated jobs that come into our shop. This last part ended up having 250+ operations. It was part of the cockpit assembly for the Appache helicopter. Now I just have to convince him it's time to use the latest software. We actually joke about it here. When I have to look at one of his X2 files I tell him I'm back in the stone ages. We also have conflicting styles. I name all my planes, keep all my geometry named on seperate levels, and keep my mastercam files totally organized. He's the exact oppossite but the end result is that the work he does is very immpressive and I'm very thankful to have had him mentor me for the last five years.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm very thankful to have had him mentor me for the last five years.
All his talent doesn't mean he still can't learn and to me, it sounds like he could learn some better habits at least.

Just sayin is all

. When I have to look at one of his X2 files I tell him I'm back in the stone ages. We also have conflicting styles. I name all my planes, keep all my geometry named on seperate levels, and keep my mastercam files totally organized. He's the exact oppossite

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

example of my style standart colors ,lines styles and width ,

standart level names through get level names comand ,standart planes names,

tool libraries and fixtures

x.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/Iskander_Teh_Owl/5XREP-1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/Iskander_Teh_Owl/WRK2.jpg