Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

post help(again)

kyle forbes

The setting to force the PST to linearize arc moves is ->

linarc : yes # yes (or '1') = linearize ALL arcs

# no (or '0') = leave the arcs alone!

Most PST files do NOT have "linarc" defined in them, so you may need to add this declaration.

Also, the Chordal Deviation (breakup tolerance) is controlled by the setting of ->

vtol : 0.0002

Note the "vtol" usual IS defined in a PST

Maybe more than once (for INCH/METRIC differences)

Without being a complete ball breaker:

1) Don't draw any arcs

2) If you mean helical arcs, set this:

helix_arc : 0 #Support helix arc output, 0=no, 1=all planes, 2=XY plane only

3) This is really a hack but you could probably set arccheck to a big number and the post will convert (maybe) to straight line moves:

arccheck : 1 #Check for small arcs, convert to linear

ltol : 1.000 #Length tolerance for arccheck = 1

C

Roger Martin is the Winner!!

Kudos and props to you.

For those wondering about this request, the

machine I am programming uses dynamics very

similar to those of the MC filter. It takes G1

points and draws a spline through them and then

cuts the spline. The more critical the accuracy

and surface finish, the tighter you make the spline. This results of this process are superior

finishes and faster cycle times.

It is a roeders rfm600 hsc vertical machining center.

thanks again for all of your help

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...superior and faster than ... Makino's, etc....

Prove it! Not just with salesman's BS either. Are you using MetaCut Pro to filter your toolpath to get NURBS?

[ 07-16-2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

If you take geometry with arcs and do a lines posting your toolpath this is aproximation #1

Then you use your machine to filter this and this is aproximation #2

Then your machine executes the block with some aproximation #3.

And you say that it will be more accurate !

Never saw in my life multyline more accurate then

arc .

Arc is 2 axes circular interpolation real time 2 axes movement well what you`ll have is bunch of approximated lines (splines in better case ) !

And you leave your fate in hands of your controller,that can have bugs too and it very depands of your bufer size,memory,operation system,processor and a lot of other things !

Have you tested your statements ?

Prepare for bitter surprises !

And about Japaneese machines .

Your accuracy and speed dependes not only of controller , but from a mechanical side too!

Japaneese machines including Makino are superior !

My friends works on Mazak ,Makino,Okuma, I personally worked on Mory-Seiki and Okuma.

Trust me, they are superior to most every American or German machine.

I run German Deckel- Maho Dmc63v with Sinumeric810 control and I know those who run DMC with high speed machining Heidenhein control.

Bad machines , really disappointing .

Positioning ,accurasy and quality !

My spindel makes so big noise ON 900 RPM FROM THE FIRST DAY !

But deckels and maho 20 years ago were the supreme machines.

But the time had past .

Japanees rule now !

quote:

how far ahead will it look? and how quickly?

10,000 blocks. It is a pc based control running on

a windows 2000 platform. there are two dual amd

processor computers, one for the control software,

windows, and user interface, and the other one

processes the information and feeds the drives.

(you can also play pinball while waiting for your part to finish at 10:00 at night.)

quote:

Prove it! Not just with salesman's BS either. Are you using MetaCut Pro to filter your toolpath to get NURBS?

I am using another software to accomplish nurbs

machining, but I am looking at metacut pro. I had

test cuts done on a Makino SNC64, a Mikron HSM400,

a Roeders RFM600, a Mori Seiki, and a Roku Roku. The Roeders topped all in finish, cycle time, and accuracy. I had no intention in buying the wrong

machine for that would have put my job in jeapordy. The japanese machines are excellent and

every machine has it's purpose. If you talk to people who do high end high speed machining you

will find out that the Japs are good, But the Germans are better. I am selling nothing. I am just sharing my year long research experience.

quote:

[ 07-16-2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

What did ya do, bite your tongue? wink.gif

Anyways I must be living in a cave or something. The greatest VMC every created by the hand of man, and I never even heard of it.

From now on every machine we buy will be a roeders rfm600 hsc. Thanks for the tip. cheers.gif

quote:

And BTW , I am also from the cave .

WTH is roeders ?

I never heard of it either, I am just sharing my

experience. All I did was give this company a

chance, and they proved themselves. Don't attack me like a pack of wolves. I am here seeking technical advice from my brothers in cam. All the

hot topics in this forum are turning into O/T's

and personal conversation. This is a technical forum, not a chat room. If I am wrong, kick me

off. Do you live in a cave? No. Are you going to

limit yourself by going with the mainstream all the time? Yes. Deckel Maho is a very bad comparison. That is like comparing a fadal with a

Mori. There is no comparison. Remember this when

you live your life using what you feel are the

best products just because they are more popular,

The #1 golfer is black.

The #1 rapper is white.

The French think the USA is arrogant.

The Germans don't want to fight?

The America's Cup is in Switzerland.

The three top names in the USA are,

Bush, Colon, and Dick.

And, the tallest player in the NBA is chinese.

Mastercam is NOT the best software.

Makino is NOT the best machine tool.

It just doesn't make sense does it? I must be on

crack!! confused.gif

let's end this thread for it is no longer informational.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

What did ya do, bite your tongue?

Nah! I wanted to ask a few more questions so rather than add another posting, I just added to that one.

adding more below...

quote:

It is a pc based control running on

a windows 2000 platform.

I'd run for my life!! We have a shop full of PC Based COntrols and OMG.... Unstable when the temperature rises, they suffer from every problem your PC at home/in the office does, let me count the ways that PC based controls suck over the long haul. Sure, right now it may be great, but what about when you've had the machine for say 5 years (Which is eons when looking at computer hardware) what happens when something fails, will you be able to go down to Fry's and get a replacement part? Will the company still be around in 5 years? True it's hard to know what is going to happen in 5 years. 5 years ago who would have thought that Okuma woudl be struggling, who would've thought the Hitachi Seiki would be bought by Mori Seiki?

As for using straight line segments to represent arcs then running through a filter, I would re-evaluate my position if I were you. Let me give you a heads up on my background so you'll know I'm not just talking out of my arsehole. I was ( I left because travel was too hard on my family) an Applications Engineer for Mori Seiki for a couple of years. HSM and FMS's were my area of expertise. I spent the latter part of my career there experimenting with different scenarios (read playing with HSM's), Linear Moves vs. Arcs, Linear Moves vs. NURBS. Straight Posted code vs. code run through a filter (Meta Cut Pro). No contour control vs. Look Ahead vs. AICC vs. HPCC, vs. NURBS et al.... In my experience (and I had the data to back up my position) tightening the surface creation tolerance on your models, tightening the tolerance on your toolpath, and allowing arcs to be made where possible then filtering the software yielded the best results cycle time-wise, finish wise, accuracy-wise.

...coming up for a breath...

quote:

Don't attack me like a pack of wolves. I am here seeking technical advice from my brothers in cam.

Nobody as attacking you, they are just attacking your absolute statements.

quote:

All the hot topics in this forum are turning into O/T's and personal conversation. This is a technical forum, not a chat room.

Yes and no. For the most part it is technical, but as we wait for someone to enter with a good problem we can sink our teeth into we engage in chat. Sometimes that chat can be quite lively as can a conversation be with anynoe you're standing next to. True some may be more brash that others but you just need to look beyond that.

HTH

[ 07-17-2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Just kicking it back up to the top. Beacuse

quote:

Nobody as attacking you, they are just attacking your absolute statements.

in the words of bob ritchie, It's not bragging mutha bugga when you back it up biggrin.gif

quote:

I'd run for my life!! We have a shop full of PC Based COntrols and OMG.... Unstable when the temperature rises, they suffer from every problem your PC at home/in the office does, let me count the ways that PC based controls suck over the long haul. Sure, right now it may be great, but what about when you've had the machine for say 5 years (Which is eons when looking at computer hardware) what happens when something fails, will you be able to go down to Fry's and get a replacement part?

The control is basically two pc's. I can upgrade

anything on them just like any computer. As far as stability, if you have ever run a pc with only windows and one proven compatible software, it is extremely stable. You can get replacement parts for pc's at wal-mart. Last time I checked you

couldn't do that with Fanuc controls.

quote:

Will the company still be around in 5 years?

Will Makino? Will Mastercam? Anybody can be bought

out, sold out or shut down. Anybody.

quote:

As for using straight line segments to represent arcs then running through a filter, I would re-evaluate my position if I were you.

I must have misled you here. I use point to point

data for the fitting of splines whose accuracy is based on the dynamics you define.

quote:

I was ( I left because travel was too hard on my family) an Applications Engineer for Mori Seiki for a couple of years. HSM and FMS's were my area of expertise.

Mori is an excellent machine, but hsm is not a strong point for them. Could it be there is

a technology out there you didn't try? Just cause

you had the title doesn't mean you were good at it.

ps

That hat doesn't necessarily make you intelligent.

as for Iskander...

quote:

Life is fun, Mastercam is fun .

Mastercam is life and life is Mastercam !

you need to get a life biggrin.gif

Just kidding! You guys have a good day.

quote:

The control is basically two pc's. I can upgrade

anything on them just like any computer. As far as stability, if you have ever run a pc with only windows and one proven compatible software, it is extremely stable.

Lemme ask you this, Mister Misplaced Matter of Fact.. Have you ever run JUST windows on a PC??? Without ANY OTHER PROGRAMS, proven to be reliable or not??? Yeah, real stable, NOT!

Windows, (read anything Microsoft), is NOT a stable operating system. Period. (Yes, your brilliance is really shining through now, isn't it?) It has memory leaks, it has too many security leaks to mention, (not that that's an issue here, but it gives you an idea of the holes), it's the All Time King (or Queen in your case) of Bloat-ware, and, IMNSHO, it is junk for this type of application. (Play pinball while the machine is running, oh, brother.. rolleyes.gif )

quote:

just cause

you had the title doesn't mean you were good at it.

ps

That hat doesn't necessarily make you intelligent.

You're gonna be real hard pressed to find someone with as much knowledge as the man you just slammed. Spend 5 minutes reading some of the posts he's made, and you'll see how stupid you just made yourself look. (Not that it wasn't COMPLETELY obvious before you said that.)

Judging from the sh!t that comes out of your mouth, I would say you have a severe case of Anal Cranium Inversion. Now why don't you pack up your self-proclaimed superior toys and go make some more hamburgers and fries, your break's over.

'Rekd teh Click! Click! BOOM!