Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WCS

Müřlıń®

WCS is one of those things that I will never fully understand. I have the same problem I would love to know as well. Especially creating your own plane in WCS. WCS is such a huge part of certification and there isn't enough info on it in any of the manuals. I think WCS could and probably is the best part of MC but I cannot get the hang of it. frown.gif

Say you want to machine on the front plane of the part. Set the WCS to front. Return to Graphics Screen, then set the orientation to top - the front side of model appears. Next, use Job Setup. Program your toolpaths. Flip the part on the side to machine, in this example the front plane of the part, and machine. >>> This method is used instead of actually rotating your model -90 degrees [while in the Side CPlane]. Either way works fine, but changing WCS is easier, less work! cool.gif

Job Setup at this current time is oriented exclusively to the Top Plane, I believe. I'm sure some of the other forum members can provide more in-depth info.

[ 07-18-2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Dan2uok ]

Dan...ahhh

quote:

Job Setup at this current time is oriented exclusively to the Top Plane

This explains it..... rolleyes.gif

Did I just use the Quote buttons......heh

Its pretty easy to redefine your stock for verify off a couple points I guess...

Murlin

[ 07-18-2003, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

Murlin, what I do is create my part, and create a WCS for each side. The first side will be my stock definition, usually set at G54. Now when you have 6 WCS's, and are working in, say WCS 5, and want to verify the entire part, just regen any operation that's in the WCS that you defined the stock in, then select all and verify. (I suggest regening an op that's not too big biggrin.gif )

HTH

'Rekd teh outside the box

Rked...Ya, I havent messed with the WCS much cause I'm not machining parts so I only needed the top veiw.

But started doing some "government work" and saw right off just how handy the WCS could be.

Check out link below...Ignore site, its been under construction forever...hah

biggrin.gif

Murlin

web page

Unfortunately at this time Job Setup is not updated along with the WCS. Thus, when you change the orientation of the WCS and then verify a toolpath, the stock model won't be properly aligned with the toolpath [this info. is on page 3 of the Mill Tutorial Extra 'Using WCS and the View Manager' which can be downloaded in PDF format at Mastercam.com].

One method to 'work around this' is to build yourself a model of the stock with it's proper orientation and save it in a separate STL file. When in verify configuration, select 'File' in Stock/Shape then grab your STL file. Now verify will 'look normal'.

Hopefully version X will have the Job Setup updated to accomodate all WCS orientations.

[ 07-19-2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Dan2uok ]

Tazzer, have you downloaded the WCS in from te main mastercam site.

this is a good starting tool.

Once you have that down then come here to get the rest.

I use the WCS for every thing I work on .I would not know what to do without it at this point.

you will find the files on this page V9 WCS It is close to the bottom this contains file's & pratice posts and how to PDF.

[ 07-19-2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

quote:

One method to 'work around this' is to build yourself a model of the stock with it's proper orientation and save it in a separate STL file. When in verify configuration, select 'File' in Stock/Shape then grab your STL file. Now verify will 'look normal'.

I haven't tried this method, as it just takes too long to go browsing for a file each time I want to verify. (Which is a lot.)

So the best solution I've found is to just select an operation that was created in the WCS that the Job Setup was created in, and re-gen it. Then verify is right. Even if you only want to verify 3 ops from the 4th WCS.

Very fast, very effective. No fumbling around for an STL file every time you wanna change WCS's and verify..

Rekd

quote:

Tazzer, have you downloaded the WCS in from te main mastercam site.

this is a good starting tool.

Yeah I got it and it helped a bunch, my biggest problem is creating custom planes, I have the regular 6 planes down alright although I have to correct my self every once in awile, but making custom planes is a pain in the arse.

Tazzer,

It may help if you position your part in the view you want to create the plane in, looking top/down just as it will be machined, then open WCS Manager and right click in the window and select Create > Copy current Gview.

That's the easiest way I've found to create non-standard views.

HTH

'Rekd

Tazzer start with some easy samples and and using say by Enity to satrat or by Rotation.

Can be easer to use.

Try using a standerd 6 sided block wire fram and create the planes by enity instead of the existing WCS.

Practice make for a better understanding.

quote:

So the best solution I've found is to just select an operation that was created in the WCS that the Job Setup was created in, and re-gen it. Then verify is right. Even if you only want to verify 3 ops from the 4th WCS.

Another way to do this is to go to the WCS dialog and change the current WCS to any other WCS, change it back, and exit the dialog.