Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating User Defined tools

Kel61

Hi Guys.

I'm having trouble creating a user defined tool using a sketch or file for that matter.

The tool is a double angle 45 deg cutter mounted on a sub arbour. Attached is a .jpg of the cutter created in Solidworks.

We use MasterCam for Solidworks.

Any thoughts?

regards

Wayne.

post-41770-0-73095800-1335834897_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys.

I'm having trouble creating a user defined tool using a sketch or file for that matter.

The tool is a double angle 45 deg cutter mounted on a sub arbour. Attached is a .jpg of the cutter created in Solidworks.

We use MasterCam for Solidworks.

Any thoughts?

regards

Wayne.

In mastercam you must only draw 1/2 of the tool. I always draw the right side, but I'm not sure if it matters. There also must not be any other geometry on the level. When you select undefined tool select the level your geometry is on.

The sketch was a standalone sketch in the sldprt file.

The undefined tool parameters page has a Sketch dropdown and all the unused sketches inthe file show up.

When I revolved the sketch into a solid, it disappeared from the dropdown and the tool definition went dirty

I haven't tried it as a filename yet

OK... when you revolve the sketch and make a solid from it, it closed the sketch... and that wrecks the sketch as a tool definition

I deleted the solid, but the tool was still dirty ... I had to open the sketch and the the line SW entered to close the sketch.

Then the tool definition was valid again

It looks like undefined tools only support MCX-6 files if you want to

use a file to define an undefined tool.

I have an extensive library of tools like this from regular MC and have used them often in MCfSW

and never thought about it.

MCX-6 is the only option available in the file dropdown.

I tried saving the sketch as an sldprt file and selecting that using "all files" but the definition failed.

It looks like a sketch in your working file is the only way to define a custom tool if you don't have regular Mastercam

Hi guys,

The trick to remember with custom tools in MCfSW is the geometry all needs to be in the positive quadrant. Y+, X+.

Take a look at the attached image. In the left side image you'll notice we have some tool geometry in Y- as well as the center line. This is the geometry causing the problem. Smart dimensions in - are fine)

To correct this we just need to delete the ".25" dim, add a coincident relationship between the origin and the lower left of the tool, and shift the center line into +. Now the tool can be defined.

post-7542-0-40795700-1335880795_thumb.jpg

the sketch needs to be in the same file as the Mastercam ops are running in.

the sketch needs to be a half profile of the tool with a contruction line as centerline..

if you close the sketch and use it to make a revolved solid, it will not work as a custom tool definition

it also needs to be drawn in the Mastercam Top plane